Chondro questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
breakdown
Chondro questions

So I'm starting to plan the purchase of a GTP and there are a few things I need to know. I hope to get a small yellow one, male or female either will do. What is the best size enclosure to start them out in? I'm not going to use tubs and want a natural looking display, whats the best type of substrate? I was thinking of covering half the floor in smooth round rocks and the other half with a pool of water to help meet the humidity needs (possibly some live plants) and obviously plenty of things to climb on, if this is a no no please vocalize. Also I heard that handling small gtps can actually injure them because they have weak spines, is this true. I do want to try to accustom my gtp to tolerate some handling so when I do have to deal with it Im not constantly dodging fangs. Assuming the GTP I choose is one that will eventually tolerate being handled, what is the best way to go about it?

Old 04-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
A_Mc
Congrats on your decision and welcome to the addiction!!
As far as your caging ideas, I will add some pointers....
Neonates can sometimes be very 'gun shy' when it comes to caging. If it's too large, they may not feel secure enough and go off feed. That, added to whatever's going on around the cage (foot traffic, TV,) etc etc can stress them out. That's why most will suggest a tub for the young ones. Makes them feel more secure.
If you are dead set against using a tub, you may want to think of an older, more established animal that is accustomed to being in a display type cage??
As for your set-up. It sounds nice, but rocks would be a B**ch to take out and clean every week. Pools of water can become stagnant and breed 'yuckies'. I change water bowls and clean them with a bleach solution every 2-3 days. Live plants are good--So are fake ones...I hang Wal-Mart plastic plants from the top of the cage using cable ties. The more 'hiding areas' the better.
Since you are going for the naturalistic type display, Cypress mulch would be a good choice of substrate....I personally use newspaper in my display cages and paper towels for my neos.
Any way you go, make sure you buy an animal from someone who will offer support in case you have questions. Stay away from imports for your first animal. Many (NOT ALL) are poor feeders and can have some health (parasitic) issues...
If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me... chondrokeepers@yahoo.com

Old 04-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
breakdown
Thank you very much for the advice its greatly appreciated, how would a normal 10 gallon workout for a neonate? The room it will be in is a very quiet room with no traffic except when I go in to look after my boa. Is it alright to house the GTP in the same room as my boa so long as there is as much distance as possible between the two enclosures? ( its a large spare bedroom there would be at least 10 feet between the two) as well my boa has already been to the vet and given a clean bill of health as far as mites and parasites go. Ive already read a few different care sheets they all said not to handle or have a GTP sexed until at least a year so I found the answer to my handling questions. Thanks again and I can almost guarantee I'll take advantage of your email address.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
A_Mc
Andrew...
No worries. I'm happy to help any way I can.
As for the GTP being in the same room as the boa...While I'm sure that the boa is healthy and vet checked, you should always quarrantine new purchases. I have a seperate quarrantine room for new arrivals. If you MUST have them in the same room, I would practice strict aseptic technique between the 2 animals until you are sure that the new arrival is OK.
As for the 10 Gal. tank...there are a few 'problems' you may have...
Airflow: While GTPs need humidity, they also need a 'drying' out period and fresh air exchange. May be difficult to maintain?
Heat: Enclosed glass tanks can bulid up a great bit of heat...Difficult to maintain a thermal gradient in a tank so small with no airflow..How are you planning to heat the enclosure?
Perches: These guys are climbers and perchers...What type of perches will you use? Some have had success using 'built up' PVC (not attached to the cage,but as a seperate structure).
That's why I like tubs for babies...You can drill holes for airflow, use 'back heat' for a thermal gradient, and attach perches fairly easily. May not be pretty, but is functional until you can get the animal a little older and into a more 'attractive' cage.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
breakdown
Ok there was definitly a couple things I hadnt thought of there. I agree that maintaining a proper temp gradient is next to impossible in a 10 gallon that why I moved my ball python to a bigger enclosure early. Whatever size aquarium I use I will probably heat it with an undertank heater and a heat lamp whether it be light, infrared or a ceramic H.E. while making sure it is the appropriate wattage for size. I was thinking of moving my boa to a bigger enclosure before I get the GTP and putting the GTP in my boas old enclosure after thoroughly cleaning it of course. If I can find one I may try to find a yearling GTP like you advised I think it might be a little easier on me. If you'd like you can see a photo of my boas enclosure on the ball python discussion forum, the thread is titled 40 gal.ok? and I believe the pics are on page 4 of the thread. Thanks for taking the time to help and anymore advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
breakdown
Sorry i forgot the boas cage is the first picture of the 4. It measures 18wx18dx24h.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!