Smallest Earthworms for Newts, etc? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Tony G Indy
Smallest Earthworms for Newts, etc?

Does anyone know what the smallest earthworms are that available or how to culture something smaller than what is typically available in pet shops, bait stores, etc?

Looking for feeds for very small newts in terrestrial phase. Something smaller than red wigglers, redworms, etc

All feedback greatly appreciated!

Tony

Old 06-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
LauraB
I presume you're talking about red efts. You say "very small", but how small?
Do you have a semi-aquatic set-up or completely terrestrial? That stage is really tricky.

I really can't advise on the smallest earthworm, but you could try pinhead crickets, mealworms, waxworms, aphids, small slugs, maybe even friutflies (terrestrial) or bloodworms, daphnia, blackworms, whiteworms (aquatic) ... depending upon your set-up. You may have to cut any worms you acquire to make them a more appropriate sized feeder.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Tony G Indy
Some of the newts are as small as an inch! They are smooth newts. I have another group that is a little bigger about 1.5 to 2 inches. They can eat small pieces of small redworms, but would like to get something for them that has a smaller diameter. I am using a lot of the things you mention - pinhead crickets, fruitflys etc.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
zookeeperfrank
Hi, earthworms are fairly easy to breed (i.e. those sold in trade as red wigglers)' please see this article.; If available, blackworms are ideal; they are related to earthworms and I've used for decades in zoos and at home, best, Frank

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!