feeding my COLORODO RIVER TOADS mice?! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
Rabbit87
Question feeding my COLORODO RIVER TOADS mice?!

We have 5 Bufo Alvarius and tried feeding them mice for the first time today. They seemed to really want to eat it, but couldn't/may have been afraid of his nails because they did try a few times but soon gave up. We are just wondering if there are any tips/tricks to making it easier for them or getting them ready for the mice? Also, is it better to feed them the mouse inside their home or in a feeding tub? Any help at all really is appreciated

Old 04-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Glenn Bartley
Feed them dead mice. Make it look alive.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
porkchop48
Dont feed them mice at all.....They do just fine on a diet of crickets, roaches, etc.

A diet of rodents is bad for amphibians.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
smashtoad
Rodents are fine food for frogs. What makes you say they aren't?

Old 08-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
jerry moore
colorodo toads

have any for sale

Old 09-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
zookeeperfrank
Hello All,

I've recently retired from the herpetology dept at the Bronx Zoo and have some observations re mice as a food item for frogs. While African Bullfrogs and some species of Horned Frogs take a good deal of vertebrate prey at certain times of the year, the majority of this prey is other frogs. Rodents are an infrequent prey item for these and for other large frogs, incl Cane Toads, Col. River Toads. An extensive field study of cane toads in Venezuela found no rodents or other vertebrates in stomach contents (pub in Copeia, I believe); I worked in the same region...many rodents and small herps were present, but inverts were found in stomach contents. At the zoo, all dead animals are necropsied...we have seen numerous incidences of hair impaction in large frogs that consumed mice; also kidney, liver problems, as well as fat deposits in the eye (also occurs when insectivorous lizards and lg salamanders consume rodents). It should also be remembered that digestion etc does not always function the same in captivity when compared to wild situation...hydration, other food items, calcium levels, general health affect ability to digest and to expel feces (this may partially explain why substrate impactions are common in captivity), Calcium intake is very important, especially for growing frogs, but furred rodents should not be offered. An occasional pink mouse (1x month or less) is fine for most large frogs, but far better to rely upon a highly varied diet of inverts. Earthworms are simple to nutrient-load, and often have decent CA levels when collected. Fish can be used for some species, but see cautions re goldfish in article linked below.

Many keepers feed rodents seemingly w/o incident, but it is impt to bear in mind that longevity of 10-15 yrs are not impressive where most large frogs are concerned; Af Bullfrogs have exceeded 50 yrs of age in zoos, marine toads, Colorado River toads commonly live into their 20's and 30's, etc.

Please see following articles for more on rodents and frog diets in general, and pl let me know if you need more info.

http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre...persus-part-1/

http://bit.ly/asjzz2

Best, Frank

Old 12-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
hadenglock
The way i see it its not a bad idea to feed rodents every once in a blue moon it helps with keeping their diet diversified since in captivity it is nearly impossible to replicate their wild diet, however i feel that if you feed them that as their staple diet, heart disease, fatty liver disease, kidney failure, etc.. are an increased threat, simply put, too much of a good thing is bad.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Jesse Johnson
about thoss river toads......

Are you willing to sell any of your Colorado river toads. i was just curious about them, no worry's if you don't feel like giving them up. thanks for reading.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!