SPIDER WITH A VENOMOUS BITE THAT ROTS HUMAN FLESH DISCOVERED IN MEXICO - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
JColt
SPIDER WITH A VENOMOUS BITE THAT ROTS HUMAN FLESH DISCOVERED IN MEXICO

Researchers in Mexico have identified a new species of spider with venom that is capable of rotting human flesh.

A team from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) found the spider, dubbed Loxosceles tenochtitlan, in the Valley of Mexico—a highland plateau in the center of the country where Mexico City is located.

The arachnid belongs to a genus, or group of species, known as Loxosceles—which are commonly referred to as recluse spiders, violin spiders, brown spiders, fiddle-backs or reapers. They are known for their venomous bites which, while not fatal, can cause necrosis in the skin, leaving a permanent scar.

According to the UNAM team, Mexico has the highest diversity of Loxosceles spiders in the world being home to around 40 of the 140 known species. The researchers say the newly identified species is the first that's considered native to the Valley of Mexico region.

The team led by Alejandro Valdez-Mondragón from UNAM's Institute of Biology said that there were already records of Loxosceles tenochtitlan—although scientists had previously assumed that these specimens represented the already-known species Loxosceles misteca. This species is native to the the Mexican states of Morelos and Guerrero, although it has been introduced into the Valley of Mexico.

"As [Loxosceles tenochtitlan] is morphologically similar to [Loxosceles misteca,] it was initially thought that it had been introduced to this region by the shipping of ornamental plants. But when doing molecular biology studies of both species, we realized that they are completely different," Valdez-Mondragón said in a statement.

https://www.newsweek.com/spider-veno...mexico-1476701

Old 12-13-2019, 02:41 AM   #2
WebSlave
Sounds like something that I really wouldn't want to be the initial discoverer of.

Hey guess what I discovered? Want to see my hand? Or what is left of it, anyway...

Old 12-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #3
JColt
About 25 years ago I was bit on my right calf. Doctor unofficially thought I had been bitten by brown recluse. It took over 6 months to completely heal and seeped and oozed clear liquid constantly. If I cut myself shaving it would swell up and take weeks to heal. I have a silver dollar sized brown spot still on calf after all these years. Don't think I'd want Loxosceles tenochtitlan chomping me.

Old 12-24-2019, 03:04 AM   #4
MBullock42086
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
About 25 years ago I was bit on my right calf. Doctor unofficially thought I had been bitten by brown recluse. It took over 6 months to completely heal and seeped and oozed clear liquid constantly. If I cut myself shaving it would swell up and take weeks to heal. I have a silver dollar sized brown spot still on calf after all these years. Don't think I'd want Loxosceles tenochtitlan chomping me.
thats a secondary bacterial infection. it has been proven for well over a decade or two that loxosceles venom is only weakly necrotic- its more-so similar to the effects of a fire ant sting. your razor was the culprit of that infection. you're describing staph infection.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:20 PM   #5
John Apple
Yeah....lotta hype there in this story....

Old 04-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #6
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBullock42086 View Post
thats a secondary bacterial infection. it has been proven for well over a decade or two that loxosceles venom is only weakly necrotic- its more-so similar to the effects of a fire ant sting. your razor was the culprit of that infection. you're describing staph infection.
Just noticed this. Doctor ruled out staph after first visit and a couple of other things. He did say he thought some type of insect and possibly recluse. There were definitely 2 puncture marks in center of injury. My time is off though. It was more like 35 years ago and not 25.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!