Wanted Newts and Salamanders. Looking for rare or unusual amphibians - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Amphibians

Notices

Old 03-07-2022, 12:53 AM   #1
Maumee22
Newts and Salamanders. Looking for rare or unusual amphibians

Hello all,
Looking for rare or unusual species of amphibians. Newts are my top selection right now, but salamanders are also up there.

Not currently looking for the following:
Neurergus crocatus Lake Urmia Newt
Triturus dobrogicus Danube Crested Newt
Cynops orientalis Chinese Firebelly Newt
Ambystoma mexicanum Axolotl
Ichthyosaura alpestris Alpine Newt
Pleurodeles waltl Spanish/Iberian Ribbed Newt

Everything else is open for consideration as I want to reach out with more amphibian diversity in my collection.

Biggest animals I'm looking for:
Newts:
Almost any Newt species or subspecies (certain subspecies of Alpine Newts would be nice too)

Salamanders:
Dicamptodon
Chioglossa lusitanica
Lyciasalamandra
Salamandra
Salamandrina
Bolitoglossa
Nototriton
Oedipina
Speleomantes
Most southeastern United States species.

I will also be open to any other salamander, newt, frog, toad, or caecilian possibilities too.

Edit: Yes I know most of these are nigh impossible to find. But the state of Washington considers Chioglossa an aquatic pest with records of them in the wild, so someone at least had them at some point. The Lacey Act specifically mentions 1 species of Speleomantes in 16.14 so it's not unreasonable to assume some form of permit was applied for them at least once. Washington considers Dicamptodon ensatus as an aquatic invasive as well as Salamandrina so someone must've moved some over at some point. There's at least one public import record of Oedipina. As for Bolitoglossa, I am aware that nearly every one is wild caught and there's a few captive bred individuals. However, that is why I want to establish breeding populations in the first place. I am not writing this to demean anyone, but I know it's still possible, just extremely extremely unlikely, but it's worth a shot since I found someone with some Bolitoglossa and someone with some southeast US captive bred animals.
  Contact User Check User
Old 03-07-2022, 11:16 AM   #2
Nerios92
Have you tried contacting Sandfire Dragon Ranch?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Old 03-07-2022, 12:41 PM   #3
JaimeLannister
Triton Newts

Old 03-07-2022, 11:50 PM   #4
JustinMarcisak
I'll have some unsexed Alpestris Aupana ready to go in a few months. Will get back to you!

Old 03-08-2022, 01:59 AM   #5
NewtMan123
Chioglossa, Speleomantes, Salamandrina, and Lyciasalamandra are not in the states. If Oedipina and Nototriton are in the states then they are most likely smuggled. The only ones you have a chance of finding is Salamandra for sure but rare, Bolitoglossa few captive bred rest are smuggled, and Dicamptodon very rare to find this species in long term captive or captive bred otherwise very few if sold are smuggled. As for most southeastern species you’ll most likely find them wild caught but also another possibility of finding in the states other than that you could find some uncommon newt species at least.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
caecilian, newt, rare, salamander, unusual