Cold temps, for north Florida anyway. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 01-29-2022, 04:36 PM   #1
WebSlave
Cold temps, for north Florida anyway.

One forecast is calling for a low of 22 degrees tonight, and another 27 degrees. Hard freeze warning between 2:00am and 8:00am.

I was just outside taking off some hoses so I can drip some pipes to have the water pump running a little bit. We have the pump tank sitting outside, kind of in the woods so somewhat protected, but heck, I REALLY don't feel like fixing any soft of plumbing crap.

Man, this Florida blood is murder during even modestly cold temps. I feel like my fingers are frozen, and my skin on my face felt tingly from the wind. And that is with only being 46 degrees out. I COULD NOT move up north. Heck, I don't think I could even visit up there in the Winter months. My heart would just stop when the cold air hit me.

BRING ON THAT GLOBAL WARMING!! What do I need to do to help?

Old 01-29-2022, 06:24 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
I don't know, this kind of sounds like my kid saying she's starving to DEATH because she hasn't eaten in an hour and a half.

Just kidding -- 22F is pretty cold. But maybe part of it is that you forgot how to dress for the weather? Synthetic base layer, wool layer over that, windproof outer shell (those light-medium weight down puffy jackets are really nice), good hat, good wool socks, long johns if you need them. Keep your core temp up and your hands will stay warmer.

I was outside most of the day cutting wood (thinning a pine stand per the forester's advice) in low 20s with a little breeze, and it was really nice.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:34 PM   #3
bcr229
We've been spoiled the past few years with fairly mild winters as far as temperatures go. This is the first one in a long time where we've had days in a row where we never got above freezing, and where the prior snow didn't melt off before we got another one.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:11 PM   #4
Lucille
Just saw a NYT headline, parts of Massachusetts have already gotten 30 inches of snow.

Old 01-29-2022, 10:37 PM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
I don't know, this kind of sounds like my kid saying she's starving to DEATH because she hasn't eaten in an hour and a half.

Just kidding -- 22F is pretty cold. But maybe part of it is that you forgot how to dress for the weather? Synthetic base layer, wool layer over that, windproof outer shell (those light-medium weight down puffy jackets are really nice), good hat, good wool socks, long johns if you need them. Keep your core temp up and your hands will stay warmer.

I was outside most of the day cutting wood (thinning a pine stand per the forester's advice) in low 20s with a little breeze, and it was really nice.
Hah! I am not even sure I have a coat. I think I do have a jacket, however. My usual plan is that if it is too cold outside, don't go outside.

When we moved down from Maryland, I brought down our snow shovel for some reason. Maybe I thought I would be shoveling sand with it. Might be worth a pretty penny at the local GoodWill store for the collectible value!

27 degrees outside right now. We pulled a lot of the citrus fruits yesterday, but didn't get it all. And Connie has (had!) lots of new blooms coming out on her Meyer lemon trees, which will probably be history. Several other plants were thinking it was Spring time, too. Surprise, surprise!

Old 01-30-2022, 09:55 AM   #6
Socratic Monologue
That's too bad about the plants. We get weather events like that here too (late spring freezes take out apple and cherry blooms, winter ice storms wreck the trees) and it is quite discouraging.

Sounds like you could go shopping at a place like REI and come out a new man, ready for weather. Even living here in the upper Midwest my whole life, I didn't really enjoy winter until I learned to dress for it.

Old 01-30-2022, 12:35 PM   #7
WebSlave
The low temp on my weather station (sensor is positioned out in front of the apron of the garage) got down to 21 degrees last night. On another sensor I have setting on the porch, where it is somewhat more protected, it got down to 25.9 degrees.

Haven't done any inspection of the plants yet. Hopefully they are OK. We have some semi tropical plants that have been doing very well with the milder Winters we have had lately, so I'm not sure how they will have fared from this.

A few years ago we found some newly sprouting coconut palms on Sanibel Island that we brought back here. I would LOVE to grow my own coconuts! But they did not like cold weather AT ALL. Temp got down to just 35 degrees or so, and I didn't think they would need to be protected. WRONG! Killed every one of them.

One year we had a very early cold snap come through in November that wiped out all of the citrus on the trees. They weren't quite ripe enough to eat before then so we lost all of them when the cold damaged them. If you have ever smelled rotted citrus, you know what that is like. So we had all of them falling off of the trees that we had to clean up.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:07 PM   #8
WebSlave
Ugh.. Temps went down to 28 degrees last night. Supposed to hit around 35 tonight. Then things are supposed to be looking up.

We have really only had one really cold night so far this year, but seems to be a lot more nights of low 30s and high 20s than I can recall. Seems like we have been covering the pineapple plants at least one or two nights every week.

BTW, that 21 degree night did damage some of the pineapple leaves, and any new growth coming out of the fruit trees got damaged. Some of the smaller more tropical bamboos I have got hit pretty hard too. All it takes it really just one night to kick some of the plants in the butt.

Surprisingly enough, I have a larger tropical clumping type bamboo that I bought from a guy in Tampa years ago that used to get killed back completely to the ground every Winter. But the last few Winters haven't fazed it at all. Matter of fact, even that 21 degree night we had didn't harm it at all. Not even any leaf damage. Maybe it just got used to the cold and adapted?

Old 03-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #9
WebSlave
Damn..... Well, Spring is going to be taking a sucker punch to the nose Saturday night. Weather.com is calling for a low of 29 degrees here overnight.

Looks like we are going to be having some REAL unhappy plants that are putting out flowers and new growth.

Does God have a complaint email address?

Old 03-07-2022, 11:23 AM   #10
bcr229
Record 75*F yesterday, tomorrow night snow. Every year, without fail, it snows on my daffodils.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!