What type of morph - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-28-2004, 03:32 PM   #1
The Reptile House
What type of morph

Please hepl to idetify. Shanell
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2004, 09:05 PM   #2
starwarsdad
Looks amelanistic to me.

Old 12-28-2004, 09:38 PM   #3
The Reptile House
Thats what I thought

The story behind these is that I had purchased this tro from Big Easy Reptiles_great people! They had these listed as "candycane het striped" so I got this trio expecting candycanes but when they got here no where close to candycanes at all. They said it was a new candycane striped line in which they held back the striped candycane ones out of the clutch and sold the hets in which these were suposed to be. The male was a amel striped and the female a regular miami het for candycane. So they were calling these candy canes het for striped but in turn they are not. He said they did not have all the white because they were a first generation of this new striped candycane morph. They should be called "het striped candycane"(if it were me calling them something). Needles to say I was dissapointed that they were not candycane as listed in there add because that is what I thought I was purchasing but decided to keep them anyway to go with my striped projects I will be working on.

Oh well hugh? One is a complete orange and white snake very beautiful the other very amel looking.

Thanks for looking, Shanell

Old 12-28-2004, 11:43 PM   #4
chausies
I bought 4 from that breeding

I got a trio of "miami" het stripe from that breeding, and a female "candycane" het stripe. I agree that the candycane coloring is not top notch - but since pics were posted of each snake to choose from, and the lineage was provided, I would not say that I am disappointed. If the "candycane" is not quite a candycane, she is at the very least the nicest amel that I have.

I want to work with miami stripes and miami motley stripes, and these snakes are 1 generation towards that goal. It will take a few generations of selective breeding to get back the clean miami and candycane backgrounds. I still think these are nice snakes for what they are (and for the price.)

I bought a pair of what was supposed to be miamis het for motley from another breeder, and I have to say, the ones I got from Big Easy are a lot nicer looking so far. The "miamis" het for motley from the other breeder look like ugly normals right now, I only hope they get better as they mature.... oh well, maybe a few babies will come out a bit nicer and have the motley trait too.

I did also buy a super nice miami female from Rich at Serpenco and I expect that she will make a nice cross to get some of the better color back. I also bought a motley striped "miami" from Joe Pierce and I can't tell how good the miami coloring will be, but the markings are gorgeous. So, I have a decent start for this breeding project even if selective breeding for the miami (and in your case, candycane) takes a lot of work - I think the effort will be worth it for the results.

best of luck!
charlene

Old 12-29-2004, 12:15 AM   #5
The Reptile House
Mine are very beautiful amel looking snakes. I also got them for the striped het that they carry for I am also involved in a striped project.But I was expecting "candycane" looking not such amel looking snakes. Shanell.

Good luck with your projects!

Old 12-30-2004, 08:14 PM   #6
Sand&SunReptile
Well, as you all are probably aware, Candy Canes aren't technically a genetic morph of their own.
They are a specifically line bred trait that can be exhibited through breeding the most desired animals together, to produce simillar animals.
You could make your own line of candy canes. Just get some high white, low orange amels, breed them, keep all the babies that have very little coloration besides red and white, and continue to breed around and the amount of yellows and oranges will begin to reduce. If you keep the blood diverse and don't create too much inbreeding in some years you will produce some very nice candy canes of your very own.
Being as these were called "First Generation" candy canes, I would be willing to bet this was his own line he was trying to start. You probably have the results of low orange and yellow, high white Miami, and Stripe or ect.. Amels bred together to start the process of creating Candy Canes.

Old 12-30-2004, 08:22 PM   #7
The Reptile House
Agreed but this was not explained untill they arrived so when expecting actual "candycane" looking snakes and haveing them look like the candycane you are acustumed to seeing red and white looking as they were in there add then get these? I got beautiful looking amels and since het for striped I had decied to use them with a line I am working with. Shanell.

If this was told to me prior I would not have made the purchase at all.

Old 12-30-2004, 08:31 PM   #8
Sand&SunReptile
You do have a point.
If they were sold as Candy Canes I can see why you'd be disappointed. They are very nice looking, but hard to see them coming from a candy cane project.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!