Balancing sub-adult growth and weight loss? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
LadyJemima
Balancing sub-adult growth and weight loss?

I adopted my boy Tango, who is approaching two years old, about two months ago. He was being fed "1 to 2 adult mice" a week by his previous owner. I believe his sire was a big Okeetee.

After researching and engaging in discussion online, I have determined that Tango is a bit on the chubby side. (He is in between a loaf and round shape and has just the tiniest start of "hips.") I have decided to put him on a maintenance diet of one small mouse (16-18g) or one medium mouse (18-22) every 14 days. That said, at age 2, he is still growing, and still gaining weight:

July 30: 468g
Aug 18: 481g (fed 35g chick)
Sept 1: 480g
Sept 16: 490g

This seems like a good, normal growth rate…if he wasn't overweight. How does one balance maintaining or seeking weight loss for their snake when it is still growing?

May cross-post this elsewhere for advice.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:27 AM   #2
DISCERN
Corns can get overweight with some specimens, and a lot of times, it can be very hard to come off. However, it still is a possibility for him to trim up.

While you may want him to slim down, you also want to not give him too little of food. How long is he? Each snake can differ in length, and if he is approaching two years old, and was large enough to be eating 1-2 adult mice a week, then he may have been powerfed, as well. Two year old corns, in my experience, rarely would be big enough to eat that much, if having a normal growth rate.

With all of that being said, what matters now is what will take place going forward. A lot of testing may ensue, to see how his weight trims up, if it does, on feedings you now will give him. If it were me, I would start out giving him one large adult mouse every 14 days, and then, from there, monitor and see how his weight does. I would not go smaller than a medium sized mouse, ever, at this point.

All of my biggest adult snakes are fed every 14 days, give or take, depending on the weight I see. Having never weighed a snake of mine ever, but just going by sight, and since their metabolism does slow down as they get age/reach adult size, I have found this schedule keeps them on a good weight and does not allow for obesity.

Good luck!!!

Old 09-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
elena
One large mouse every 14 days sounds right. If you are concerned about obesity and inactivity, you could "swim" him for a few minutes each week.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!