HELP PLZ - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
caine_666
HELP PLZ

HOW DO I GET SHED OFF AN EYE i got a 4-5 ft boa in a trade and he has shed over his eye i will post pics of him later

Old 12-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Mainely Boas
Hold a wet wash cloth over the area for 5 or 10 minutes, until that dry patch is thoroughly hydrated, and then gently brush the wash cloth over the area and it should slough off. Gently being the key word. Don't force it.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
caine_666
ok ty for the help i will try this in a few mins i have never had a bad shed so i wasnt sure how to do this

Old 12-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Metachrosis
Personally I would leave the animal alone and feed it hydrated prey(water injected into the rat)
till it starts is next shed cycle.
Soaking the animal every other day during the "week of" will allow
sufficient hydration and hopefully a complete shed and successful cap removal.

Working with-in natures design is always better then forcing
There are times when retained caps are severe and need the more aggressive
approach to correct.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Metachrosis
Even the best of the best run into a bad shed now and again
It happens!
It doesn't necessarily mean your a bad keeper unless its a regular thing
and or more then one of your animals goes thru it 3-4 times a year.
I have one thats 8yrs old and has never had a one piece shed in his life here.
He is fed hydrated prey and soaked etc,he is an imperfect animal forced
by human means to exist.

We work "with" him,never forcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by caine_666 View Post
ok ty for the help i will try this in a few mins i have never had a bad shed so i wasnt sure how to do this

Old 12-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
JCCS
I agree with Tommy on this one. Leave the snake alone and just up his humidity and yeah, maybe injecting water in a rat or just soaking the rat in water before feeding would be easier.

Chris

Old 12-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
lavy&purple retics
like everybody else has stated increase humidity..soak the rat in water...dont up the humidity to high though the snake should rub it right off....if not let the snake soak in a tub...and get a warm towel rub gently over the area...if these do not work off the next few days and it starts to dry up u may wanna consult a vet...but this is a rather easy situation to handle...

Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
Metachrosis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavy&purple retics View Post
like everybody else has stated increase humidity..soak the rat in water...dont up the humidity to high though the snake should rub it right off....if not let the snake soak in a tub...and get a warm towel rub gently over the area...if these do not work off the next few days and it starts to dry up u may wanna consult a vet...but this is a rather easy situation to handle...

Can you help me understand why
people feel the need to forcefully remove
eye caps ?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
lavy&purple retics
Nt a need I would only say that if it looks like its having alot of difficulty coming off... It dnt feel the need to but if he does I just threw the recommendations out there..

Old 12-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
bear
+1 to all the comments about leaving it be. If husbandry is correct, it should shed it out on its own.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!