Milk x King hybirds? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-20-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
GreenTreePython13
Milk x King hybirds?

Alright so I know that crossing ssp and localities is a HUGE no no for boas, but how do people view it for Kings and Milks? I've seen different king crosses and milk crosses and king x milk crosses on the classifieds and they seem to be more common than the boa ones because I'm assuming it's less taboo? Anyone have any comments?

Old 08-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
brianm616
apparently you've never visited the kingsnake forum on ks.com

Old 08-21-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
GreenTreePython13
I did a few times but I found the way it was set up kind of confusing.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
DISCERN
The true defintion of hybrids stands as:

Hellacious
Yet
Belligerant
" Reasoning "
Involving
Destroying
Snakes

It is basically both biological perversion and hypocrisy, to say the least.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
RossCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTreePython13 View Post
Alright so I know that crossing ssp and localities is a HUGE no no for boas, but how do people view it for Kings and Milks? I've seen different king crosses and milk crosses and king x milk crosses on the classifieds and they seem to be more common than the boa ones because I'm assuming it's less taboo? Anyone have any comments?
First off, there is a very vocal crowd out there against hybrids of any kind. I think the reason why you don't see many crosses with Rosy boas is because you can't really make anything too much out of the ordinary because most are basically striped. Pattern has a lot to do with making a very unique looking hybrid, that's why I think Cal kings are used often in these crosses. There are people out there willing to pay big bucks for these king X milk snake crosses and that's why its done. If there is a market, its going to be filled. There are a lot of people against hybrids, but there's still enough people out there that are all for them and willing to pay for them. That's what keeps the market going. I'm a field herper, so I'm into the locality stuff.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
GreenTreePython13
Thanks Ross, you're the first person to comment on any of my posts about hybrids that have been kind and completely unbiased. Thank you for your input!

Old 08-25-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
RossCA
No problem.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #8
spoonersgirl
Hybrids are a personal choice. I have no issue with them, as long as they are clearly identified ... I prefer pure blood but also enjoy some hybrids & own both : )

Old 08-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
D. Mong
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonersgirl View Post
Hybrids are a personal choice. I have no issue with them, as long as they are clearly identified ... I prefer pure blood but also enjoy some hybrids & own both : )
Well, the fact is........ once man-made crosses/hybrids leave the vendor's table, the snakes, and whatever else all of of their offspring, and their offspring's offspring are ever bred with and then produce are usually ALWAYS sold as whatever they tend to more closely "represent" at any given time. The fact that I continually see COUNTLESS crosses in this hobby that are grossly mislabeled all the time is absolute proof that this is how the dynamics of the hobby actually works.

Representing certain crosses "honestly" only really goes as far as the first buyer at best most of the time. Quite often these first buyer's can't even remember what they were told by the original breeder/seller as to their true subspecific lineage. So then of course the buyer's go on to breed these to other snakes, and as to exactly what specific types is anyone's guess. It certainly isn't usually to another crossed snake with the very same specific crossed lineage the other snake had he/she intends to breed it with. Of course not, the crosses are usually bred to a a genuine type of snake in the hobby that is fairly similar to the cross, which in turn only make more man-made mutt snakes that further dilute the genetics of the genuine form it was just bred to.

I know all this to be an absolute fact from being in this snake hobby for 44 years and owning countless thousands of different types of snakes, as well as breeding many of them for well over 25 years.

These are entirely different times now for a multitude of different reasons. I can go on any classified section of any forum, or to almost any pet shop in the nation and usually identify all sorts of stuff there that has crossed lineage in it. Man-made crosses and hybrids greatly dilute many of the genuine bloodlines that are still out there, and only gets worse every single breeding year to be honest.

At the Daytona Expo this past weekend it was certainly no different either. One of the most respected old-timers in this entire hobby/industry had a deli cup on his table, and I said...."uhhh, what's the story on this thing? as I snickered". I told him there was absolutely no way that it was what he had on the label. I then pointed out all the individual characteristics to him that made me say this in the first place. I said, .."this looks like a hybrid that "so-and-so" would produce". He immediately started cracking up and told me that was EXACTLY who he got it from"...LOL!

My point being, if this extremely well-known and experienced, and very respected old-timer in this hobby was fooled by just this one snake(and also it's parents at his table in a display case), just imagine what would happen to all the countless thousands of not very experienced, unsuspecting people that would buy it as exactly what it was marked as. And of course go onto produce folds more genetic mutt snakes that would themselves produce folds more into the hobby to be bought up and further bred........................

Another guy I know there at Daytona had amel "so-and-so's" for sale, and there is no such thing as amels of that species in the hobby..LOL!. The albino gene was basically "stolen" from another similar snake that has been in the hobby for many years, then back-bred to more of the "target" species until they "look more genuine". These are just two instances here I am stating that I saw from just several days ago, but I could go on and on forever with these similar stories of gross misrepresentation. I see this on a very steady basis every single day of the year....365 days of the year.

Anyway, I am about as opposed to producing man-made crosses on purpose as you could get, and I also have many legitimate reasons for this opinion...

~Doug

Old 08-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #10
DISCERN
Good input Doug!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!