Proper temp & humidity ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
Mickeyblueyes
Proper temp & humidity ?

I'm getting my first boa and was wondering if they're kept similar to ball pythons. Is it ok to keep them housed in the same rack. Also concerned about IBS and any info and links to good care sheets is appreciated.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Scooter1685
First, congratulations on your new boa! They're my absolute favorite.

Many different keepers have different advice on proper temperature and humidity levels. Personally, I keep a hot spot at 88-90 all year round. Aside from breeding, I keep the ambient temperature around 80-82. I keep an ambient humidity around 45-48% in my reptile room. I also spray all enclosures with room-temperature water 1-2 times per week, and a little more often for specific enclosures when a boa is going through a shed cycle.

There are many good sources for information. Vincent Russo has put out a few books that are held in high regard by many keepers. Jeff Ronne put out a VHS, though it's a little hard to find in recent years. Jeremy Stone put out a DVD last year. Many breeders are happy to discuss those things if you ask, so a simple e-mail to a breeder you like can go a long way toward getting the information you're after without buying a book or video.

Good luck, and congratulations again!

Old 10-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
Snakesitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyblueyes View Post
Also concerned about IBS
I'm guessing you mean IBD?

(If not, stop reading now.)

The best way to avoid IBD is to buy from a quality breeder who practices top quarantine procedures. Check the BoI, and ask for a reference.

Then quarantine anyway.

I now practice a "welcome" vet visit before any snake enters my door, a 12-month quarantine, and another vet visit. Many times I take bloodwork as well. You cannot be too careful these days, as one cannot "undo" an IBD-level error.

Good luck!

(If you did mean IBS, the ever-helpful Wikipedia has a lengthy treatise: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritable_bowel_syndrome. ;-) )

Old 10-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
Mickeyblueyes
Thanks guys, yes that was a typo. The breeder has a nice high end collection and seems to be a good guy. Has anyone purchased from Bryant Tannery?

Old 10-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
I keep my boas and balls in separate racks as I tend to keep the temps a little bit higher for the balls and generally the boas are in larger tubs anyways, but generally as long as things are okay I don't really see that it would be an issue. If you want a book, this one is pretty cheap (~$10) and has some really good basic info IMO: The Boa constrictor manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyblueyes View Post
Has anyone purchased from Bryant Tannery?
Check out the Board of Inquiry for seller/vendor reviews and to post your own inquiry on the seller if needed please:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=71588

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!