Albino Alligator!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Crocodilian Discussion Forum

Notices

Crocodilian Discussion Forum This section is for discussions pertaining to any and all topics concerning crocodilians.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
joshdhensley
Albino Alligator!!

My wife and I went to Myrtle Beach, Sc for new years and stopped at Alligator Adventures. They have the only 7 albino alligators anywhere. Two of them are on display. I also included Bob, the tailless alligator. Here they are. Enjoy!

And here is Bob!

Old 01-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
barbie69
Very very cool!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Old 01-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Gary O
I remember when Strickly had albino gators on his list for 15K it was a few years back though lol

Old 01-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
MorphCapital
They are really cool!

Old 01-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Mooing Tricycle
There is also one or two at the Houston Zoo, there were several wild babies found By a family friend and brought there. I dont remember the whole story as it was forever ago when my parents told me. Ill have to ask them again because they were thought way back then to be some of the only ones in captivity. maybe these are siblings? Ill have to ask again to be sure :P

Old 01-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
There is also one or two at the Houston Zoo, there were several wild babies found By a family friend and brought there. I dont remember the whole story as it was forever ago when my parents told me. Ill have to ask them again because they were thought way back then to be some of the only ones in captivity. maybe these are siblings? Ill have to ask again to be sure :P
Okay, I have the story now.

It was my Family friend's Uncle who found 18 of the white alligators. But they are not albino like the ones you have pictured, but have blue eyes instead. and gave them away to different places. The houston zoo has one or two, i cant remember exactly, and an alligator farm has some as well. there are more, but i dont know who exactly has them all. He could have gotten in a ton of trouble i guess so i dont really want to put a whole lot down on it. But thats about the gist of it. This was years ago though... so there could be more by now floating around the world maybe offspring of these ones?

Old 01-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
Okay, I have the story now.

It was my Family friend's Uncle who found 18 of the white alligators. But they are not albino like the ones you have pictured, but have blue eyes instead. and gave them away to different places. The houston zoo has one or two, i cant remember exactly, and an alligator farm has some as well. there are more, but i dont know who exactly has them all. He could have gotten in a ton of trouble i guess so i dont really want to put a whole lot down on it. But thats about the gist of it. This was years ago though... so there could be more by now floating around the world maybe offspring of these ones?
\
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...3/ai_n10690253 thats about the only information youll find on him finding the animals on the web.

"The first leucistic alligators confirmed by science have been sent out on display loans from the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans. One of the white alligators is on display at Chicago's Shedd Aquarium until mid-September. All 17 white alligators were found by a fisherman in 1987 right after they had hatched in a remote Louisiana swamp. The zoo has been raising them since that time. "Being a snowy white infant devoid of camouflage and left otherwise defenseless in a swamp is tantamount to hanging a sandwich board on the animal with a simple message to all predators: `Here I am. Eat me.'" according to William Mullen of the Chicago Tribune. The white alligators are also prone to sunburn, turning a vivid pink if unprotected. [The Daily Herald, Provo, UT, May 25, 1995 from David Webb]"

*done posting :P*

Old 01-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #8
joshdhensley
I'm sure there are many out there. I just put down what they had posted on the sign there. They are cool though.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
Schlyne
Do you know what the story is on Bob not having a tail? Is it an injury or something more like a genetic thing?

Old 01-04-2007, 11:55 AM   #10
joshdhensley
They said he just came out of the egg that way.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!