Banana pricing - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
pythonpaintjobs
I like both mutations, but EVERYONE likes banana's and their combos. Even if the price drops significantly (which it will) you will have no problem selling babies. They will be more affordable to the hobby breeder instead of just the full time breeder.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #22
bigdogg
Banana's starting this year 5-7k for males 3-5k for females. End of this year 1500 for Males 1000 For females or vice verse 1500 for females 1000 for males. GHI is a great project with potential problem being lots of people like bright and pretty. Not dark look at Cinnamon/black pastel. Lots to do with those genes yet they are totally underrated cause the next big bright snake comes out. Banana's Held for so long at dumb money now they are just EVERYWHERE. Still a good project but mise well wait for a late year baby buy in for 1000-2000 then you won't lose money for sure as I think they will flatline around 500 in the end

Old 06-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #23
ApReptiles
I dont think they will drop that significantly. My guess is it will take another 3 or 4 years for them to drop into the 1000-1500 dollar range

Old 06-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #24
Randy F
Yeah I don't ever see them being $500. Snakes like that keep their value on the bottom end. If they get there it won't be for ten years. But they are going to come down a great deal. I believe that they are a snake someone buys now to make a super cool combo they want.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #25
ApReptiles
agreed ^

Old 06-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #26
bigdogg
If people keep buying them and reproducing them as quickly as they are they will be down only took em 2-3 years to go from 50-75k to 5-10k.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #27
MajorLeagueReptiles
I'm not sure how I read this whole thread and nobody has mentioned the most important fact about bananas that really is the basis for this dilemma. Banana male makers make males that make males that make males. It isn't a market thing, it really isn't even a crash. It's simple production outweighing the buying market value. It's a bummer it's happening with banana/coral glows but what can we do?

Everyone wants a banana, so there are breeders out there setting themselves up for that very reason. Because everyone is going to own one sooner than you think.... I think there is going to be a hard price break between early season males that have a chance to produce spring 2014 babies and males produced later this season. Seeing as how many people are having a later season and the masses will accumulate at the same time, we run into that production problem. Again, with almost all production being entirely males. This is something that has never happened with a morph, and it just happened to be a pretty morph that was priced very high at one point.

I really don't want to give my opinion on whether or not it is a good investment because I think it really depends on certain factors.

The market for people who buy $5000 is only so large. There is competition for sales, not just between breeders but between investment projects.

My most prosperous investments in ball pythons have been when I purchased something that others really weren't. I bought an orange dream in 2010 for $1500 when there was no super and people called them normals. I bought into the rio project when people were buying CGs. I sold more offspring last year to pay for my animal and I'm sitting on valuable stock of potential rio production in the future that will sell for much more than projects people focus on..

I'm not saying mainstream projects aren't great. Because I still breed and produce them because people like popular/fashionable snakes. Some believe they are safe investments because everyone wants one.... I'm just going to say something here... When you are investing, think of investing into a project that people aren't all over yet... Then when it develops and explodes, you are actually in a money making position. It's really why I diversify so much in my own collection and prove new morphs because I believe in profitability and not profit. If I wanted profit, I would have breed a banana male to all my big normal females this year and sold them out and made cash. Instead, I used my normal stock to help prove new mutations, or help figure out projects I want to develop for my future.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:17 AM   #28
NIGRO51
[QUOTE MajorLeagueReptiles;1609198].. I'm just going to say something here... When you are investing, think of investing into a project that people aren't all over yet... Then when it develops and explodes, you are actually in a money making position[/quote]

More often than not things turn out not to be genetic orjust doesnt catch on.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #29
MajorLeagueReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGRO51 View Post
More often than not things turn out not to be genetic orjust doesnt catch on.
That's where it takes homework, knowledge and an eye to get into a project early. Wasn't really implying investing into something unproven, more about investing into something you see that will catch on. Its not easy to be the first, but I'm here to say, that is definitely the most rewarding if that makes sense. Absolutely doesn't mean it's easy or a guarantee, but neither is investing in something that puts you in a rat race and is depreciating rapidly.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #30
HurQleys Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorLeagueReptiles View Post
That's where it takes homework, knowledge and an eye to get into a project early. Wasn't really implying investing into something unproven, more about investing into something you see that will catch on. Its not easy to be the first, but I'm here to say, that is definitely the most rewarding if that makes sense. Absolutely doesn't mean it's easy or a guarantee, but neither is investing in something that puts you in a rat race and is depreciating rapidly.
I agree with you on this one. Some lesser known morphs can be very profitable in addition to prosperous morphs out there. There is one downfall to projects on CH imports is most "dont have the eye" for them. I have proved out a hand full of traits in the last 5 years myself. You are right, it is rewarding. Far more rewarding than probably producing your first Banana because you know you have something new and no one else may have. The best part is...your CH projects start only at 15-100 bucks depending where you shop.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!