ASF Rack - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
suzuki4life
dollar store on carlisle has different sized tubs....

thinking of just making my own fiberglass units in the future. Then they can be as thick as I want them.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #12
TripleMoonsExotic
We've decided to nix the idea of converting the wooden rack and just building it right into the closet. Walmart had the perfect size of litter pans to fit 2 columns on opposites sides of the closet. I'll be able to fit at least 12 tubs in there and still have room at the top for storage! They're 22" x 16" x 6.5" and almost $8 a piece. I'll take pics when it's all built. Won't have to buy any lumber because we have an abundance of 2x3's and 2x4's.

My buddy Gebhart mentioned to me about making my own tubs out of fiberglass or something else (I forget what). I think he said his brother or something has the stuff to do it. I told him if I do it on a much larger scale I'll look into that, but for now these litter pans fit perfect where they need to.

Hey Gary, tried calling you again yesterday and no one picked up (do you screen your calls too )...I didn't realize you had rats ready until I listened to the voicemail. Did you still want to get your hands on two ASF females?

Old 03-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #13
suzuki4life
I only work weekends, so never home then (not awake if I am)

kicking around the asf's..

might wait for you

I want to see actual adult sizing

Old 03-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
The BoidSmith
Stephanie,

Yes they drink from water bottles just like mice and rats. I'm planning on building a rack for them too but if I do I'll stay away from plastic. Sooner or later they gnaw a hole throw it, that's just been my experience. My plans are building wooden trays lined inside with thin galvanized metal (comes in rolls) that will be nailed to the boards. Maybe heavier and a little more work but I'm tired of them drilling holes in the tubs and having to chase them all through the reptile room. Escapees can gnaw in your cables and create a fire hazard as well as undesirable drops in temperature in your reptile tubs.

Thanks,

Dan

Old 03-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #15
TripleMoonsExotic
My buddy also suggested building metal bins! But I was worried that the ammonia (I think that's the word I'm looking for?) from urine would ruin them. That's what happens with wire bottom rabbit cages. I read that giving them a block of wood to chew on will keep them amused so they don't chew through the bins. Have you tried that? I was also thinking...There's a product called Bitter Apple that we used on our Rott's hotspots (and my fingernails) when I was growing up. I wonder if the taste of that would persuade them to not chew (certainly cured me of fingernail biting!)?

Gary, next time you're over I'll show you the little guys. I really enjoy keeping them! I just made them little plastic nesting boxes today.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #16
suzuki4life
I guess we need some nice stainless units then.

Or glass.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #17
The BoidSmith
Yes, they have things to chew on but eventually they find a weak spot in a corner of the plastic and out they go. I'm thinking seriously about building wooden trays (plywood would be enough) and cover them with thick alluminum sheets.

Thanks

Old 03-03-2008, 02:43 AM   #18
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Yes, they have things to chew on but eventually they find a weak spot in a corner of the plastic and out they go. I'm thinking seriously about building wooden trays (plywood would be enough) and cover them with thick alluminum sheets.

Thanks
I agree with Dan on this one....it doesn't take them long to chew through the litter pans, regardless of what you give them to chew on. So far, I haven't had them eat through the heavy-duty cement tubs. (They just were escaping through the gap between the top of the bin and the bottom of the shelving above )

And as has also been said, they do drink from either water bottles or the valves just fine, but they do seem to drink a great deal less water than mice or rats.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 AM   #19
TripleMoonsExotic
Well, a solution to the escaping issue is I can put a screen door (the ones for outside) on the closet...That way if they do get out they're stuck in there. No wires to chew on (the interior of the closet is completely covered in paneling).

Long term I'll look into the stainless steel custom built tubs. Next time I see my buddy I'll ask him how he suggests they be built cause I certainly don't have the first clue!

Old 03-03-2008, 03:24 AM   #20
suzuki4life
hmmm stainless...definitely wouldn't be cheap.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!