Which roach should I buy and breed? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 05-15-2005, 04:11 AM   #1
Rebel Dragons
Which roach should I buy and breed?

I am looking for a roach breed that can't climb and end up in my neighbors house. I am interested in breeding them but just CAN'T have any escapee's.

Suggestions?

Old 05-15-2005, 04:38 AM   #2
Manhattan Herps
well, lobsters are a great roach to breed, they are very prolific and within 2 months your colony will expand from say, 100 to at least 500, but you say you dont want a climber, but they are easily contained with vaseline on the sides of the tub, and they will not be able to climb out, i've had mine for about a month and a half and never had an escapee, and they are cheap

but, if that doesnt change your mind, discoids and orange spotted roaches are good, although not as prolific as lobsters they will breed if kept at a high temperature(90-95), they dont climb and will eat whatever you put in with them, they area perfect size for beardies also, lobsters are a better size for leopard geckos and such

hope that helps

Old 05-15-2005, 05:08 AM   #3
Rebel Dragons
Lobsters sound good, the vasoline trick works huh? I am looking for #'s not size. As I will be able to benefit from several sizes of roaches. Right now and for quite a while I am looking at having to buy crix in about 5 diffrent sizes.....Ughhhhh If lobsters are fast breeders and easy to maintain they might be just what I am looking for.

Anyone know where I can buy some. I have the stuff to keep them in and I can get vasoline easily so I am pretty set, just missing the roaches. Lol

Old 05-15-2005, 05:47 AM   #4
DAND
You could try a reptile show. A lot of times there will be someone selling roaches. I received an e-mail about a herp show in Lancaster. Here is where it's located: The Lititz Community Center 301 West Maple Street Lititz, Pa 17522. Here is the link to the site: http://pythons.com/lanshow/

I breed a number of them including woods, lobsters, and hissers. The woods don't seem to be as hard (less crunching when the Leos eat them) as many of the others and they seem to breed like crazy.

Old 05-15-2005, 05:50 AM   #5
Rebel Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
You could try a reptile show. A lot of times there will be someone selling roaches. I received an e-mail about a herp show in Lancaster. Here is where it's located: The Lititz Community Center 301 West Maple Street Lititz, Pa 17522. Here is the link to the site: http://pythons.com/lanshow/

I breed a number of them including woods, lobsters, and hissers. The woods don't seem to be as hard (less crunching when the Leos eat them) as many of the others and they seem to breed like crazy.

Thanks Dand,

I go to both of the Lititz show's every year, tiny but nice shows. I used to live in Lititz and I still am a member of the community center where they have the shows.

Wanna sell some roaches? lol

Old 05-15-2005, 06:02 AM   #6
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Dragons
Thanks Dand,

I go to both of the Lititz show's every year, tiny but nice shows. I used to live in Lititz and I still am a member of the community center where they have the shows.

Wanna sell some roaches? lol
I'm not sure how far a drive it would be for you, but if you feel like going for a road trip I'll be doing the Butler PA show on June 5th. [http://www.wparepexpo.com/]

Old 05-15-2005, 06:42 AM   #7
Rebel Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
I'm not sure how far a drive it would be for you, but if you feel like going for a road trip I'll be doing the Butler PA show on June 5th. [http://www.wparepexpo.com/]

I would love to do business with ya David, but I just can't see myself driving 4 hours to buy roaches..................

I checked out some of the buggie classifieds earlier. I may just buy some there.

Old 05-15-2005, 07:45 AM   #8
Manhattan Herps
i bought 100 for 15 shipped from rich at http://reptiliandelights.reptiletraders.com

he's great to work with and is very prompt with shipping

Old 05-15-2005, 08:01 AM   #9
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Dragons
I would love to do business with ya David, but I just can't see myself driving 4 hours to buy roaches..................

I checked out some of the buggie classifieds earlier. I may just buy some there.
I can't blame ya. Like I said I wasn't sure how far a drive it would be for you. Maybe after everything hatches I'll hit the Lancaster show if I can handle the 6 hour drive.

Old 05-15-2005, 01:06 PM   #10
progeckos
I currently breed lobster, orange head and discoid roaches. Of the 3 I really like the discoids. They don’t climb and breed fairly fast for a non-climber. As adults they are pretty big being around 3”.

I don’t use Vaseline for my lobsters. I just use Crisco cooking grease. It’s cheap and it works. Here are some care sheets to help you out.

Lobster care
Orange head care
Discoid care

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!