Moving during breeding season - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-13-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
Junkyard
Moving during breeding season

So I am looking at moving hopefully within the next 2-4 months, I will be moving only about 40 miles away. What is the possibility of this affecting my snakes? I am concerned they may be stressed out and not breed this season. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have some awesome snakes ready this year, I would be bummed if they did not take this season. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
Griz
I'll give you my advice. I have an adult albino and an adult dh sunglow in the same enclosure right now. They started courting within a days time. I decided to purchase 2 large vision cages in which to house them and was informed by multiple people NOT to move them out of their existing cage until the breeding was done as it would screw things up. I would think that if moving them 5 feet would create issues that a 40 mile trip would most certainly do the same. Either way, good luck!

Griz

Old 09-13-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
DragonCharm
I'd definitely wait if you can. If you can't wait I guess you'll have to accept the fact that you may or may not produce anything this year.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
hhmoore
I've moved stuff just before, and at the start of breeding season. typically, I have just waited a few weeks to get them settled and haven't had problems. Depending on when you are planning on moving, it may be worth delaying the cycling process until they are moved and settled (this is what has worked best for me). Yes, you end up with later babies,...but better late than next year.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:39 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
I may have to move my boa also. She is with another breeder right now, but a change of the current situation may be in order.
What about after the obvulation, and breeding cycle? What if a move was needed than? would she still produce the young?
I am referring to my albino, but you should know I've owned her for six years, she is used to traveling with me locally and afar, and is of a calm disposition all the time.

Ciao,
Rick

Old 09-13-2005, 07:42 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
BTW it would be a six hour drive from there to here.

Ciao,
Rick

Old 09-13-2005, 08:10 PM   #7
Junkyard
The temps have not quite dropped a lot for cycling so at the moment I am waiting for another couple of weeks. I wish I could remain here, but the move is deffinately needed, it looks like I may be moving around December. I guess I might as well accept a year with empty shoe boxes. Sigh.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!