1.3 breeding Group, hoping to get breeding soon. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-17-2004, 08:07 AM   #1
Sand&SunReptile
1.3 breeding Group, hoping to get breeding soon.

I have a...
Normal Male
High Yellow Female
Tremper Giant Hypo Female
Albino Female.
I know all the babies will be appearing normal, because my male is normal, but I just can't replace him. He is too cool of a little guy for me to go out and buy a morph male.
Oh well, het babies are just fine for me.
Is the giant trait recessive, or what?
They are all sub adults, should be breeding within a couple months!
Mike

Old 09-17-2004, 01:42 PM   #2
SquanGeckos
Good luck with your colony! If they are all young, give them some time and be careful not to stress them out. Females gravid for the first time will only lay a few clutches and have a lower rate of successful fertilization.

As far as I've read, the giant is not a true recessive gene...but the jury is still out depending on who you talk to.

have fun!

Michael

surfgecko.net

Old 09-17-2004, 03:10 PM   #3
groovygeckos
Talking lol !i own 1 pair of the "giant albino " leopard geckos

they are definately giants thats for sure 71 gram male at 5 and1/2 month old and a female i havent weighed but is just as big over 9 inches allready ....these should breed for me after a month goes by and they are vet checked ..fecal and all ...i will let everyone here know my discoveries ..on the "giant"babies themselves as opposed to the het giant (among other things) that i will create !! until then both myself and my definately much larger than normal (with only half of the appetite of an albino ) "giant albinos" can just read ,watch and laugh !

Old 09-17-2004, 09:00 PM   #4
Sand&SunReptile
Yea. My female is like, 6 or 7 months old, and just ginormous. All the others are the average small adult size.
I'll let ya know if I hold back any males, and breed em back to the mom to see if I get any giants.
Thanks for the advice, does anybody else have breeding advice, or general information?

Old 09-18-2004, 07:43 PM   #5
SquanGeckos
what kind of advice are you looking for? ask a specific question, get a specific answer...ask general and you probably won't get too many replies....most general questions can be answered by checking out good websites for info.

michael
surfgecko.net

Old 09-18-2004, 08:04 PM   #6
Sand&SunReptile
Ok, well.
What is a healthy breeding weight, in terms of grams?
Do I have to cool them at all before attempting to breed?
How many clutches should I let them lay before I seperate them?
Just a few questions swirling in my brain. I've also read that low temps incubation means females, higher means males. Ive also read and heard that is crap, lower temps gives you a mix, and better breeders, high temps give you sterile or barren breeders. Which is true?
Mike.

Old 09-18-2004, 08:32 PM   #7
SquanGeckos
ok...now you can get some answers.

first...go buy a leopard gecko book...it has good info for you....the leopard gecko manual is full of good info....second, scope out good websites...they have great info, just as valid, from different perspectives and experiences.

breeding weight and age: at least 1 yr old and 45+ grams...most of the time i wait until they "look" like they are ready to breed..which means they are obviously very healthy and fat and receptive to a male.

cooling really isn't needed. They know. go with the seasons. you said they are young. just because they turn a year old this winter (just assuming), doesn't mean they will be ready to breed or gravid by early spring. My colonies are young...this was the first season for most of them and some didn't become gravid and receptive to males until this summer when they were 1.5 yrs old.

most leos will only lay a few clutches their first season. this season, i gave the females a rest from the male around when they laid to just before they laid so they had time to recover w/o too much stress. i also tried both colonies and pairing (1 m and 1 f) to see if there were any differences. i had better fertilization rates with the pairs...but i wouldn't jump to any conclusions about what's best just yet.

from what the scientifically backed manuals say about temp sexing.....
<78 and they won't hatch
80-83 and they are females
84-86 and its 50/50
87-92 and its males
92+ and its sterility

all give or take...plus, there are other incubation methods out there.

if your really interested in leos, proper care, and healthy breeding, go search out good info...search, and you will find it...

michael
surfgecko.net

Old 09-18-2004, 09:10 PM   #8
Sand&SunReptile
Ok, well the original male and female I had, the 1.1 Normals, well normal and High Yellow are both turning 2 this winter. So they are defenitly ready. Got nice fat tails, and feeding like crazy.
The albino female is over a year, and the female hypo, as learned by from the breeder is about 13 months.
They all have big fat healthy tails.
Should I give them varying amounts of light?
Mike.

Old 09-18-2004, 09:12 PM   #9
Sand&SunReptile
It's not the basic caring for I have ?'s of. I've had the original pair since they were wee little creatures.
I am just new to the breeding thing is all.

Old 09-18-2004, 09:30 PM   #10
Xelda
The Leopard Gecko Manual addresses many of the questions you asked, so I'm guessing you don't own a copy yet. Try to buy one if you can.

Also, if you're going to start breeding, I highly recommend investing in a digital scale. That way you will know for sure that your geckos are ready. I recommend waiting until the female is 60 grams minimum. 45 grams leaves the gecko pretty skinny after laying just one clutch of eggs. Not only do you have a limited time frame to get their weight back up before they lay the next clutch, but you have to deal with an erratic appetite as females tend to stop eating in between clutches.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!