The dreaded IBD - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
jamiryan365
Unhappy The dreaded IBD

I believe i may have an IBD epidemic on my hands.
i am really just wondering if anyone has dealt with this nasty disease before and if you have any tips on what to do?
I have lost three snakes so far. ive sent one out for necropsy. and i am still waiting on results.

HELP!

Old 03-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
dumje
wow...wait on the results before losing it...i have never delt with it before...

Old 03-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
salottimc
I'm real sorry to hear that.

Did you bring new snakes into your collection recently? If so, where did you get them?

Old 03-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
deborahbroadus
Who did you send the request for a necropsy to?

IMO, from the research and reading about others' experiences...it seems that all you may be able to do in the meantime is keep them all clean, make sure their environments are humid with the appropriate temps, and keep them from shows, other friends' snakes and don't allow your friends to bring any of their snakes around until you get a clean bill of health.

Also, I would make a time line (gathering evidence) and try to pinpoint which snake brought it in and from whom it was purchased... just in case.

Hope it's a false alarm. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
salottimc
What symptoms were you experiencing? I noticed in another post you mentioned having a spider ball. Was it displaying any neurological symptoms?

Old 03-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
scratchypen
RIs can have similar symptoms to IBD. Please list out symptoms that you noticed so that us fellow snake keepers can help out. With RIs running through collections right now I would not be surprised if that is the cause. I have ever only talked to one person who had IBD before and I have contact with lots of snakey individuals. That person ordered a big shipment of about 20 snakes (most likely w/c) and only ended up having one survive that I guess they rehomed (which as far as I know, once you have in your collection, there is no cure and you might as well cull all your animals)...what i have read anyways.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
Necropsy will only show so much, tissues must be sent in for pathology testing, usually tissues from the lung, brain, liver, etc. Sometimes it will only show in one location and not all.

I really hope the OP does not have IBD as it's a very scary thing. If tests come back positive, euthanize the collection and have all equipment and caging destroyed. I sent the OP a PM as I know someone working on IBD research that is looking for specimens if it's positive.

I'm really sorry you've having to go through this Jami.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
jamiryan365
Well i really hope it is RI or something that is curable.
symptoms in all three were the same- refusal to eat. Couple regurged. loss of interest. loss of coordination. Couldnt turn over when i put them on their back. They never star gazed though. each of them would show slight symptoms for a few hours. be okay and normal for a while. then suddenly die.

EXAMPLE: i had suspected one of my females was infected. i checked on her this morning at 6 she was great and normal as ever. At 730 when i was leaving for work i checked on her again. she was laying funny. i picked her up, she lifted her head for a couple seconds then went limp and was dead. in my hands.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
AbsoluteApril
oh that is heartbreaking I'm so sorry

If you haven't already seen it, this is the current limited information available on IBD:
http://labs.vetmed.ufl.edu/sample-re...ions/boid-ibd/

Old 03-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
salottimc
Were these three snakes from the same source? The reason I ask is because I am assuming they all passed away in a fairly short time frame. If they are from different places and all died fairly close to the same time as the others, you might be looking at something else.

This might not make any difference, but do you live feed? If so, do you house these mice/rats together?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!