WTH? I just had two balls try to kill each other - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Focal
WTH? I just had two balls try to kill each other

Has this every happened to anyone? I didn't think it was typical for balls.

I did my normal introduction that I always do. Introduce the male into the females quarters and disturb them enough so they are out of feed mode. I made sure they saw and acknowledged each other and they started roaming. I went to fill the water bowl and heard what sounded like a strike on a rodent. I came back and both are rolling around choking each other. I tried misting them, no separation. I had to literally run them under cold water for almost two minutes before they would separate. I couldn't tell who was attacking who, but I think the female was the aggressor.

She's about 3500 grams and hes about 600. Both ate within the last week, but neither within the last three days. No rodents present.

Was this an appropriate size issue? She WOULD NOT let go and I'm pretty sure she knew it wasn't a rodent.

Yes, I'm positive they are male and female.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
GREGORY J HALL
never had that happen but always in the back of my head when I stick a high dollar small male on a big female,she could try to eat him

Old 12-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
snakesRkewl
I've never had a female attack a male, only a male vs male

Old 12-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
Focal
They both seem like they are doing fine. This was his second female he's been introduced to and he's already had a lock with the first. This is her second male this year and she's already been locked up. She's been proven so I figured she would at least know the deal. I'm just hoping it was a hunger-crazed accident.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
snakesRkewl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
I'm just hoping it was a hunger-crazed accident.
Possible I'd say, I feed the crap out of my females from September to right now and then back off to once a week.
Until this past week most of my females would bite you if you didn't offer food when opening their tubs

Old 12-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
Focal
Definitely a lesson learned. I think I may try holding off my introductions until later and put them in a neutral enclosure. I'm still in shock haha.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
Wolfy-hound
Obviously he stole her McDonald's fries when they were in first grade. She remembers.

Nope, no idea. I've heard of snakes killing and eating each other, but never that the keeper heard the instant fight start up like that.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
deborahbroadus
I had a nice long story half-way finished...and...the blankety-blank Internet lost it. Short story. Yes, I have experienced it...believe I posted a bit about it on another forum a couple of years ago.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
Shadera
Simple, really. He told her the hide made her butt look big.

Never experienced anything like it. I hope it doesn't put your little guy off for the rest of the season.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
Jonas@Balls2TheWall
Never had this happen but its something to keep in mind. Sometimes I just frop males in and leave, from now on I think I will stay around for a while.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!