Shin Splints! Oh how they suck. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
Dennis Hultman
Shin Splints! Oh how they suck.

Anybody else have them where you couldn't walk at all for more than a week?

This year I started out walking each day then moved on to jogging and then running. About mid December I was approaching 200 pounds and decided I would make some changes. As a gift, I received one of those FitBit watches. Pretty cool. They track your steps, calories, heart rate, sleeping patterns, what other exercises you do, caller ID and a host of other add-on apps. I stepped it up hitting at least 10 miles a day.

A little over a week ago I hit 161 pounds. While I was out jogging my shins started to hurt and I was thinking, Hey, I'm really working it then it started to really hurt. I was about 2 miles down a beach and almost had to crawl back. The next morning I couldn't walk at all. Stayed off my feet a couple of days, Still hurt.

It has been about a week and I can get up in the morning and move around about an hour before the pain comes back. Icing it, wrapping the legs, all the things you're suppose to do.

Anyone get them (shin splints) and they last more than a week? I have to admit I haven't stayed completely off my feet, Who can when you have a lot to do each day? I sure hope this situation approves this next week.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
Dennis Hultman
What really sucks is if I start losing progress. When I first really started the day after Christmas my weight just put me from overweight into the obese category with the BMI measurements for my height. That really pissed me off and was a great motivator. Took a month to move me to mid-range overweight then all of February to move from overweight to the "Ideal" healthy BMI. That was my goal and now I have sit on my butt.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:16 PM   #3
WebSlave
Did you have a doctor check out your legs? When you are running, your legs and feet actually do take quite a pounding. The more weight you are moving, the more stress they are having to take. You sure don't want your shin bones to shatter on you...

Old 02-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
Dennis Hultman
I haven't yet. I really thought it would clear up in a couple of days. I figured I was doing better being able to get up and do things in the mornings. I have already scheduled an appointment this week. Well my wife made the appointment and told me I was going.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
Wish I had something to offer regarding the shin splits but I wanted to tell you congrats on the weight loss and getting on a healthy track!

It sucks to have to take a break once you start to make these changes and see progress but it shouldn't be too much of a setback. Good idea to get to the doctor to make sure there's not something more serious wrong. Better safe than sorry.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
bcr229
I had them when I ran cross country in high school. Yes, they hurt - a lot - and they take a long time to heal. Practicing on a surface with some give, such as the grassy just outside the track, did help but I eventually had to quit pounding the pavement.

If you're looking for an alternative, swimming is much easier on the old joints and bones.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #7
Lucille
I was virtually unable to walk for a couple months a little over a year ago. My sympathies to your plight, because it seems as if life goes on and demands one's attention and action no matter what challenges one may have at the moment.
Congratulations on the awesome weight loss.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #8
E.Shell
Sorry to hear you've got this malady, I know it hurts like crazy. I had shin splints in basic training in the 70s. Had to work through it, almost had to quit the service. Caused by muscle development that exceeds the rate of expansion of the muscle compartments. Circulation is restricted, muscle pain/cramps ensue.

The treatment was stretching exercises and aggressive/deep massage of the affected areas to help the compartments stretch out to accommodate the greater muscle mass and allow circulation and unrestricted movement.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #9
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Did you have a doctor check out your legs? When you are running, your legs and feet actually do take quite a pounding. The more weight you are moving, the more stress they are having to take. You sure don't want your shin bones to shatter on you...
So my Doctor stated that it is shin splints. She stated that I should be using heat as well as gel packs for cold. Five minutes cold then five minutes heat and repeat for 30 minutes. 800mg of ibuprofen for inflammation and told me to buy or check out a book called Williams Stretch and flex. Then chastised me about my shoes for not fitting properly and worn down to much and recommended some arch supports. Recommended physical therapy and was sending off for approval with insurance.

That's about it besides staying off my feet as much as possible for awhile.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #10
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
Wish I had something to offer regarding the shin splits but I wanted to tell you congrats on the weight loss and getting on a healthy track!

It sucks to have to take a break once you start to make these changes and see progress but it shouldn't be too much of a setback. Good idea to get to the doctor to make sure there's not something more serious wrong. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks April!

I weighed in this morning at 158 at the appointment. I guess my metabolism is still going strong.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!