Another murder-suicide - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
rcarichter
Another murder-suicide

A mom walks into my local Walmart, buys a shotgun, and shoots her 3 beautiful daughters and herself. No, I'm not for gun-control, but does it have to be that easy???? I guess it just hits home when it happens in your own town.

http://www.wlfi.com/dpp/news/nationa...Louis_49040439

Noelle

Old 09-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Metachrosis
You do understand there is a time line here ?
You dont just go to WM and buy a 12ga like a pair of boxers and a soda.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Focal
That is so sad. For the lack of a better word, I can understand why someone would want to kill themselves, maybe even their lover, but why the kids? Why would someone want to kill something that came from them over someone they've known for such little time?

Old 09-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
I believe you can unless the laws changed in the past few years. You just need an ID in Missouri.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
rcarichter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
This exact same crime happened here I believe last month. A very popular and well-to-do mom bought a shotgun and killed herself and 2 boys.
So a news crew with hidden camera went into Walmart, and came out with a gun in less than 20 minutes. He even had to say to the clerk "Don't you want to see my ID?". The clerk replied "Oh yeah, I guess I do.".

I know you can't stop people from shooting each other, but I have to believe that killing a whole family would be a lot harder without a fire arm.

Noelle

Old 09-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Metachrosis
No because Guns "Do Not Kill People"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post

I know you can't stop people from shooting each other, but I have to believe that killing a whole family would be a lot harder without a fire arm.
Noelle
I lost track of this stuff years ago,several States were planning to step away of the Brady Bill back around 09/2010 guess Missouri pulled it off.
I guess its still OC there as well . . . . .thanks for the update.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
No, I'm not for gun-control, but does it have to be that easy?
I think that's the wrong question. See it is easy to see something and say "hey there should be a way to stop things such as this from happening"
It's compassion and natural to want to protect.

The thought process is, By making things harder for all this could be the answer. So we should make it harder and regulate everyone to regulate the few.

So I ask you, A woman in this state of mind intent on killing herself and her children that could not obtain a firearm as easily, do you think she would say, oh well I'm not going to do it?

I don't think so.

Instead the headline would read something like woman drive's off cliff kills herself and children. Or into a lake.

Woman smothers kids and hangs self. Woman poisons children and self.

The gun is the tool. The means. It's not any easier. The extreme violence of the act and viewing the aftermath of each execution would be grotesque, bloody scene. Someone without conscience or rational would only be able to complete. No, it would be far easier to sprinkle a little poison on food or sit in the car in the garage.

No, If she couldn't buy the gun the end of the story wouldn't have changed. Just the plot would be altered.

That is if the story is accurate. Who knows for sure yet? Particularly reading some of the circumstances.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Shadera
Quote:

Noelle
Put the blame where it belongs. On your state for making it so easy, and on her for being mentally ill. It's just like keeping reptiles. Do you, as a responsible keeper, appreciate being lumped in and legislated with those who aren't?

I'd take a shotgun to the face before I'd rather be drowned in a bathtub or some of the other ways moms have decided to off their kids. For whatever that's worth.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
I'd take a shotgun to the face before I'd rather be drowned in a bathtub or some of the other ways moms have decided to off their kids. For whatever that's worth.
I think the success rate was the reason she chose the shotgun.

I believe the article mentioned a protective order. There could still be the possibility that it was only a three day order and a three day hold could have very easily given her a chance to make up with the boyfriend, change her mind, etc. Protective orders, at least in Virginia, are very easy to get and even more frequently abused. Most of the time, the the people involved in the domestics, are right back together after the emotional peak settles.

I have no argument for or against gun control, but I see a temporary hold on a purchase similar to a protective order. They both would give a cool down period that might allow enough time to change someones mind about resorting to murder/suicide. Will it always work? Probably not, but is it worth not even trying if it could have saved the three little girls? Dennis is right, she could have just chose another method, but a shotgun was purchased for a reason. Quick, easy and with a high success rate.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
rcarichter
I don't disagree, it's mostly a knee-jerk reaction on my part because I'm a little horrified by what goes on in St. Louis lately. (Remember, we're the proud owners of Todd Akin!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post

That is if the story is accurate. Who knows for sure yet? Particularly reading some of the circumstances.
A news conference an hour ago indicated that she left a lengthy email to relatives late last night detailing her plans, but it wasn't read until it was too late. And they found the gun receipt with her signature. I had my doubts, too, but they seem pretty sure at this point.

The previous shooting, with the boys, happened while the husband was in the house, so we all thought for sure he did it. He was in their 3rd story office and heard 3 shots from below. Within a short time, the police found handwritten notes of her plan, as well as receipts she signed.

Noelle

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!