Would you pay more for "quality" - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: When it's time to put your money where your mouth is, will you pay more?
I expect to pay more for the quality I want 26 70.27%
If it's nice enough, I'll go a little over market 9 24.32%
No - I'm after the lowest price, period. 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
hhmoore
Would you pay more for "quality"

The title asks the question.
A lot of people "say" they want the best looking animals they can get for their breeding projects; but, when push comes to shove, and it's time to lay down the cash (or break out the card), their tune changes.

BTW - the poll is anonymous. People can see the results, but not the names.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Philip451
I think there are probably a few of us who, if looking for a SPECIFIC animal for a breeding project they have in mind, will only buy the best looking example they can find. I know I'm guilty.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
Dbz4246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip451 View Post
I think there are probably a few of us who, if looking for a SPECIFIC animal for a breeding project they have in mind, will only buy the best looking example they can find. I know I'm guilty.
I know I am guilty of this. I will shop around, usually for months if I am looking for something specific.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
hhmoore
Understood...but that isn't the question.
Do you feel that quality is worth a premium price? Are you willing to pay more to get the better looking animal; or do you think it should be within the average range of the current market?

Here's an example. Let's pretend that it's either 8 yrs ago, or that you're just getting started. A bumblebee would be a great addition to your projects, and you want to buy one. You're looking for months, and you haven't really seen anything you consider outstanding. Then you see this one...some would call it average, some above average; would you pay at the high end of "normal range" for it? Higher?

Old 10-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
hhmoore
What if, just as you were about to buy that one for a little more than you thought a bumblebee was worth, you came across this one

but it was definitely more expensive than the other bees you'd seen....let's say 20% more than the one above. Do you go for it?

Old 10-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Philip451
Yes. Put value in, get value out.
I paid almost 2x market for a snake last year, just because it was the best one I had seen, and I was waiting for the RIGHT one.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #7
hhmoore
That example was a little abstract, since there were no real numbers involved.
Let's say that, in 2014, you (anybody reading) decide that you want to add a female firefly - maybe it's your first, maybe it's for a pet project - but you want one with good color, a nice clean pattern, and lots of blushing. Let's also agree, for the sake of keeping this simple, that the average price for a female firefly is $250.
You've been looking for 4-6 months, and not found quite what you are looking for...so, in an effort to keep things moving, you're looking at a fairly nice one at $300. Then, you open an ad and see this girl.

The seller is saying $600 firm, and didn't even hesitate to decline your offer of $350.
Do you go back to that $300 snake you were about to buy? attempt to negotiate a better price, knowing you might pi$$ off the seller? or decide it only hurts for a little while, and buy her before you change your mind (or somebody else gets her)?

Old 10-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #8
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip451 View Post
Yes. Put value in, get value out.
Quality in = quality out
sometimes you can get lucky and find a great snake at a great price, most of the time that is not the case.
I have some that I got better deals on because they were from breeders I had been buying from with some regularity.
if I find what I have been looking for, I don't usually even bother to negotiate price if it is an exceptional animal. Then again, I don't tend to settle once I get an idea of what I want in my head.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
That example was a little abstract, since there were no real numbers involved.
Let's say that, in 2014, you (anybody reading) decide that you want to add a female firefly - maybe it's your first, maybe it's for a pet project - but you want one with good color, a nice clean pattern, and lots of blushing. Let's also agree, for the sake of keeping this simple, that the average price for a female firefly is $250.
You've been looking for 4-6 months, and not found quite what you are looking for...so, in an effort to keep things moving, you're looking at a fairly nice one at $300. Then, you open an ad and see this girl.

The seller is saying $600 firm, and didn't even hesitate to decline your offer of $350.
Do you go back to that $300 snake you were about to buy? attempt to negotiate a better price, knowing you might pi$$ off the seller? or decide it only hurts for a little while, and buy her before you change your mind (or somebody else gets her)?
I would be willing to pay the 600 if the breeder could show me examples of single gene fire and single gene pastels (or superpastels) used in the breeding of this line of fireflies.
If those single gene animals were also exceptional, I would buy it.
I want to be sure the quality going into the firefly is also there before I spend the extra cash.
that way, any single gene fire or pastels coming out of the breeding of this snake should also be high quality.
Does that make any sense? or am I just being irrational?

Old 10-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
I have paid some rediculous prices on animals that market generally is far less on, because I see their potential and quality. No qualms. I have also paid LESS for animals that have ended up REALLY NICE. But thats more of having an eye, than anything.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!