Your thoughts please! How can we improve... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #1
Robert Walker
Your thoughts please! How can we improve...

I would really appreciate hearing your feedback and thoughts about the look, layout & functionality of Fauna. Nothing in life is perfect, and therefore there is always room for potential updates, changes and advances to anything, including ourselves. From what you have seen here on Fauna and around the web else where, what are some suggestions you could offer up for potential changes here? Some changes might be incredibly hard to do, but others might be simple alterations that could have huge impact.

It would be nice at the end of thread if we could condense our thoughts to perhaps 10 main actionable suggestions. We are not privy to the programming costs associated with each suggestion, so it is not like they would all happen, but perhaps there are a couple in the list that could really make some affordable impact. Fauna has a huge variety of wonderful options, so this isn't a slam Fauna thread. If you offer a criticism, then please at least offer a helpful suggestion along with it. P-L-E-A-S-E, lets hear your thoughts!

ex. "I would like to see if we could add X feature here that this site has"
ex. "I think if we adjusted X feature already here and had it do this..."
ex. "This function always confuses me, could I suggest this instead"

Old 11-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #2
Robert Walker
There are no right or wrong suggestions, they are your personal thoughts, so go ahead and offer them up!

I'll start us off: What if we were to move the "Auctions" into the classifieds sections instead of having their own separate forum. Rather then divide viewers into multiple areas lets condense them to one and strengthen both. The separate area for auctions was given a fair chance to thrive by itself, lets now try it combined with classifieds. We could simply ad an "auction" drop down to the prefix tabs.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
snowgyre
I do have one minor suggestion. When you click the Faunaclassifieds logo, it takes you to the classifieds home page instead of the splash page with the new posts information. I have no way of actually getting back to the splash page without actually retyping in the url. There is a hotlink for the classifieds and forum sections on the left side of the page already, but none for the splash page. Is this something that is fixable?

Old 11-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
There are no right or wrong suggestions, they are your personal thoughts, so go ahead and offer them up!

I'll start us off: What if we were to move the "Auctions" into the classifieds sections instead of having their own separate forum. Rather then divide viewers into multiple areas lets condense them to one and strengthen both. The separate area for auctions was given a fair chance to thrive by itself, lets now try it combined with classifieds. We could simply ad an "auction" drop down to the prefix tabs.
The reason the auctions were put into a different section is because the regular classifieds sections have "anti-bumping" custom code in place, which would be incompatible with any ad designed to be treated as an auction style sale.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Robert Walker
Rich, you for sure will know 100x better than the rest of us the ins and outs behind the scenes reasonings. I know there will be some things that just won't work, cost vs. benefit, desire vs. code limitations.

This may be a dead issue, but if some day a work around presented itself, it would be a suggestion.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
I do have one minor suggestion. When you click the Faunaclassifieds logo, it takes you to the classifieds home page instead of the splash page with the new posts information. I have no way of actually getting back to the splash page without actually retyping in the url. There is a hotlink for the classifieds and forum sections on the left side of the page already, but none for the splash page. Is this something that is fixable?
Splash page?
I use my control panel as my bookmark for this site, and have for years; so I'm not sure what you're calling the splash page...or what it offers that would make you want to go back to it once you're here.

Edited to add:
I think you're talking about the home page (the page you get when accessing via "faunaclassifieds.com"). I see that the link to the forums home page takes you to the forum map (the index page)

Old 11-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
If you are talking about the graphics logo in the upper left hand corner of the screen, when I click it it goes to the front page of the forum -> http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php? I believe this is where most people would prefer the entry point when looking for a "home" button.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
hhmoore
Part of the reason for the auctions being separate was because when people started wanting that feature again, the classifieds were closed to posts by registered members...which meant that participating in auctions would have been limited to contributing members, OR that sellers would have to accept PM'd bids by registered members & be vigilant about updating the ad with the current high bid (which would have created all sorts of problems).

Old 11-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
Pasodama
The splash page/screen is the primary/"front" page. The one that the following link takes you to:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com.

The forums home page is, of course, the following:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/index.php.

I would not mind it if clicking on the logo would take you to the splash page/screen.
However, I would hate it if all FC links (located near the top of all pages) took you to the Splash page. That would be a pain since you would constantly have to take an extra step to get back to the forums home page (where I prefer to be).

Old 11-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
WebSlave
The "splash page" -> http://www.faunaclassifieds.com is really considered as the entry point from someone just finding the site for the first time, in my opinion. Once someone gets into the forums main page itself, I believe that they will tend to stay there and really have little reason to go back to the splash page at all. Realistically, the forums main page IS FaunClassifieds.

But maybe I'm wrong. So tell me why anyone would want to go back to the splash page after finding the forum main page. I would have to say that I NEVER go to that page myself unless I specifically want to check the Site Sponsors section, which seems to only work on one browser I use on alternate Tuesdays.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!