genetics? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 09:37 AM   #11
Gregg M
It could be crypto but you can not tell that from the spot on it stomach...... Any of the various parasites can cause that leo to loose weight to the point where you will see that..... If it is crypto a regular fecal will do you no good anyway....... But any of the other parasites can be found and treated faily easily...... I do not believe for one second that your vet will not do a fecal check on an animal he or she has not seen...... I have been dealing with reptile vets for years and not one has ever told me they can not do a fecal on an animal they never saw...... Most vets do not see venomous snakes but will do a fecal for me no problem if my regular vet is out of town...... Infact all of my new arrivals get a fecal done without going to a vet...... These are all just lame excuses if you ask me....... At one time I had no job while keeping reptiles and I still managed to get them to a vet if needed...... If you are buying a house you must have some sort of budget set right???? Well if you take 25 bucks from each budget, you can afford a vet visit...... Take that leo to a vet because if it is not crypto. you can fix the problem...... Even if it is crypto there is a new drug out that erradicated the crypto parasite in humans but works just as well in reptiles....... But I guess what I am saying is going in one ear and out the other....... You are going to let that one die and you will just go out and buy a hyglow or a hybino for 10 times what a vet visit will cost you......

Old 10-31-2004, 10:16 AM   #12
Tribal Gecko
Actually, out of the three vet's in my area, none of them will do fecals without checking the animal out first, or if they have seen it before, in which I must bring in the papers saying they have. Bassically a way to get money and that's it, since the basic checkup is 45$ ,and then if I want the fecal that is 30$. Another annoying bit, is if the medicine is a shot, they will refuse to give me the medicine until they show me how to give the shot, which in that case, they are administering the medicine....another 20$. Even though I have done shots now several times. Granted, once I found that out, I don't bother with them anymore and go to Cornell, which is a hell of a lot better...if not one of the best in the nation. But still, the regulare vets around me do require to see the animal first. Stupid eh?

Old 10-31-2004, 10:25 AM   #13
Gregg M
Well I dont buy it...... In over 20 years of keeping reptiles I have never ran into this problem...... I guess it is time for him to find a new vet then.....

Old 10-31-2004, 12:06 PM   #14
Golden Gate Geckos
spot

The dark area in the gecko's abdomen is it's liver. When leos are not eating for a long time, their system begins to mobilize the fat storage in their bodies and tails. These fat cells begin to clog up the liver causing it to swell, which is known as hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease). If it not too advanced, the gecko can make a full recovery if given the proper treatment for what is causing the anorexia to begin with.

Do not simply write it off as cryptosporidiosis! Anorexia is a symptom of literally ALL leopard gecko diseases... like parasitic or bacterial infections. Unfortunately, each type of infection requires it to be identified by a veterinarian and treated with the appropriate medicine. Bacterial infections are so common, and yet they cannot be identified by a routine fecal examination... a stool sample must be sent to a lab and grown as a culture and identified, then the correct antibiotic needs to be administered depending on the sensitivity of the 'bug.'

Old 10-31-2004, 01:42 PM   #15
Bringerofdoom
Quote:
Originally posted by Gregg M
It could be crypto but you can not tell that from the spot on it stomach...... Any of the various parasites can cause that leo to loose weight to the point where you will see that..... If it is crypto a regular fecal will do you no good anyway....... But any of the other parasites can be found and treated faily easily...... I do not believe for one second that your vet will not do a fecal check on an animal he or she has not seen...... I have been dealing with reptile vets for years and not one has ever told me they can not do a fecal on an animal they never saw...... Most vets do not see venomous snakes but will do a fecal for me no problem if my regular vet is out of town...... Infact all of my new arrivals get a fecal done without going to a vet...... These are all just lame excuses if you ask me....... At one time I had no job while keeping reptiles and I still managed to get them to a vet if needed...... If you are buying a house you must have some sort of budget set right???? Well if you take 25 bucks from each budget, you can afford a vet visit...... Take that leo to a vet because if it is not crypto. you can fix the problem...... Even if it is crypto there is a new drug out that erradicated the crypto parasite in humans but works just as well in reptiles....... But I guess what I am saying is going in one ear and out the other....... You are going to let that one die and you will just go out and buy a hyglow or a hybino for 10 times what a vet visit will cost you......
A. yes my herp vet does make me bring new new reptiles so he can thouroughly examine them. yes there are several other herp vets in my area, but out of them all this one seems to know his stuff.

B. most of my new arrivals get vet checks too, as a matter of fact i have spent almost $700 this year on vet visits between my reptiles and mammals. all, but 2 of my leo's have been to a vet (the patternless albino and one my g/f got 2 weeks after him)

C. i only asked about a hlygo/hybino/sunglow out of curiosity if would be any good to mate with. i didnt say i was going to buy one. i was wondering on how those albino genes would be passed scince my whole topic was on genetics.

Gregg i dont even know why your arguing with me and trying to say i am lying. i guess its popular with fauna to assume everyone is B.S'ing all the time, but i am not. if i didnt care about him or i didnt want it and would let it die anyways i would bag him up and freeze him alive, i shure wouldnt let him suffer to death. My name maybe bringerofdoom on here, but it should not be associated with my care of animals.

i was not expecting him to be sick, 2 of my future leo breeders came from petco out of all the places and they were proven fine by a vet (i know, big shock to me too) needless to say i was stubborn at first and figured that he was just neglected. to me its bad timing that it happend right now, but as i said before i do plan on getting it to the vet next week. i have tried everything this week to get it to the vet (even tried to borrow money for it, reguardless of the ammount).

next week will be a different story, cause i know ill get more money then, i run my own computer repair shop out of my home. the first 2 weeks of every month seem to boom i get some pc sales and a bunch of repairs done. the last 2 weeks can be slow and october was THE slowest month out of my year, so far. im hoping it should be soon when ill be able to get to the vet as i have done one repair yesterday-today and i should be leaving soon for a onsite repair. i only whish i was able to get away with charging what most pro pc repair shops charge i would have the money already. (you know 30-50$ dianostic fee + work, i only charge for the work). needless to say i have to go and try to make some more money.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help, i hope he can get better after i get him to the vet this week.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:27 PM   #16
Bringerofdoom
what type of albino is this anyways? like i said i dont know the guy i dont think knew either, scince it was priced the same and right beside other albino's that were patterned. they looked like they were all clutchmates, but this one was clearly patternless.

also this is a picture i took the moment i got home from the show, so the stuff in the deli cup i didnt put in it.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2004, 11:24 PM   #17
Tribal Gecko
wow...what show was this at? It's amazing how some people can actually sell animals that look this malnurished

Old 11-01-2004, 11:46 PM   #18
Bringerofdoom
Quote:
Originally posted by Tribal Gecko
wow...what show was this at? It's amazing how some people can actually sell animals that look this malnurished
all ohio reptile show in columbus ohio. i thought it looked a little thin i asked about the weight they told me it was about 50 grams, still would have been thin. when i got it home and seen it wieghed only 32 grams i was mad. i wasnt paying full attention at the time, cause of eveyone cramming this booth.

i dont know the vendor, i do know they sell imports. if anyone is ever in my town and at that show Avoid the large 300+repitle booth in the back left corner of the show. they setup there in that same spot every months.

i dont know about everyone else, but when someone lies about the wieght of a reptile it should be considered a deal breaker especially when 7 grams less and it would have been half of what he said. granted 50 grams is still not as much as they should be weighing at that size, but its alot better than 32 grams.

i just hope after the vet visit he will be better.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:56 PM   #19
Xelda
After you've raised a few leos, it's pretty easy to closely estimate how much one weighs just by looking. There's no way a 30 gram leo could ever pass for a 50 gram leo. For an animal as small as a leo, the difference is huge. The tail is significantly thicker, the shape of the head changes; it's just impossible to mix them up.

That also doesn't look like a patternless albino to me just because of the patterning on the head and tail. Being malnourished, his natural colors are probably very faint. You won't see what he really looks like until he's healthy again.

Old 11-02-2004, 02:31 AM   #20
Tribal Gecko
I was gonna say the same thing about it not looking like a patternless albino to me really, do to the colors on the head and tail. I think once you get him rolling though, and he gets healthy it will be a nice looking leo regardless. Good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread