What Asian Ratsnakes Are best for ratsnake beginners? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-24-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
coyote
Question What Asian Ratsnakes Are best for ratsnake beginners?

I have kept large lizards since the 1980's, Iguanas, Water Dragons and Monitors. I had a change of interest about a year ago and began building a collection of snakes. I am currently keeping King and cornsnakes, Morelia and ST Pythons, and a Rainbow boa.

I would like advice about what asian ratsnake species are the easiest to keep? That is, which of the asian species are better for starting out with and why?

Thank you.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
PaulSage
I only have experience with two Asian Elaphe species (Dione's and Russians), so I can't really compare them to the others, but from my experience with them I would say that they are both suitable as begginer species. Actually, in my opinion they are a little "easier" than corn snakes. They rarely refuse a meal, and prefer slightly cooler temps than corns.

Since there isn't a whole lot of information out there about them, I made up a brief care sheet for both of them for my website. Please keep in mind that my opinions delivered in the care sheets are based on my experiences with them. If you'd like to check out the care sheets, just click on the links below. (I hope I did this right...) Oh yeah, you'll need Acrobat to view them.

Russian Rat Snakes
Diones Rat Snakes

There are several different subspecies of Diones, with the most common being the "high-yellow" or "Chinese" variety. I think they're actually pretty cool looking snakes, with colors similar to some NA garter snakes. The Russians aren't a real flashy snake by any means, but they are incredibly inquisitive and have cool-shaped heads .

Old 09-24-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
Clay Davenport
The species that Paul mentioned are fine candidates, but when I think of asian ratsnakes what comes to mind is the larger species from SE Asia. The beauty snakes, cave dwelling, frenata, etc.
If you're looking for one of the large asians I'd definately go with Taiwan Beauties to get your feet wet. They have great temperments, which is an issue with quite a few of the asians, have very easy temperature and maintenance requirements, and huge appetites. They breed extremely well too. I never even brumated them.
They do require a large cage though, and prefer places to climb.
The taiwans are very enjoyable snakes and a pleasure to work with.

Old 09-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #4
coyote
Thank you much guys for the input.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:44 AM   #5
Karen Hulvey
If you're looking for a small Asian ratsnake, I suggest the trinket snake (Elaphe helena) with males getting around 36"-39" and females a bit larger at 46"-50". Here's a picture of mine. He is very docile and has never attempted to bite and doesn't hiss and is an all around nice little guy.

Old 09-26-2005, 04:37 PM   #6
coyote
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey
If you're looking for a small Asian ratsnake, I suggest the trinket snake (Elaphe helena) with males getting around 36"-39" and females a bit larger at 46"-50". Here's a picture of mine. He is very docile and has never attempted to bite and doesn't hiss and is an all around nice little guy.
That's a pretty one!

Old 10-22-2005, 10:49 PM   #7
missmymark
I LOVE you r Tinket snake....did you raise/breed him yourself or did you buy him from a breeder? I've been researching and found few breeders out there it seems.

Old 10-23-2005, 02:08 PM   #8
Karen Hulvey
No I didn't breed him. I got the one picutred at an auction back in April. It was near death and I really didn't think it would live. But he did. I recently bought a female from Mark and Kim Bell, Reptile Industries.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!