Which is the better investment. . . - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-22-2005, 11:21 PM   #1
EndoZ
Which is the better investment. . .

What do you guys think is a better investment--co-dom snow leopard geckos, or amelanistic fat-tail geckos? The fat tails have held their price for a pretty long time, but the co-doms are hot and can be crossed with a lot of other morphs. What do you guys think?
EndoZ

Old 10-22-2005, 11:25 PM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
I think that no matter what you invest in it needs to appeal to you and only you becuse no matter how "hot" the reptile is at the time or the average selling price is at the time you could wind up not selling any of the babies so it need to be a reptile/morph that appeals to you so that IF you wind up with 10,20,40+ babies to keep and care for they are ones that you truly like having and they are not just for money makes because the money end of it may or may not ever come about.

Old 10-22-2005, 11:39 PM   #3
Vince
Snows are hot, but the fact is you would be way behind all these guys who are already producing co doms mixed with everything under the sun. The fat tails are amazing. I mean as far as an investment i dont know. The more people breeding them the cheaper they will be. i know they have gone down alot this season

Old 10-22-2005, 11:50 PM   #4
Chris@TSE
amel fat tails have held their value fairly well since there is not an extreme amount of people mass producing them at this time, personally I think they are a nice sound investment and I do not see them bottoming out anytime soon.

codom snows will drop, obviously a $1000 leopard gecko will not stay that way forever. a codom in a leopard gecko can be produced much easier than most morphs, but the difference here is there are many more things to come from this morph in the future. MANY unseen possibilities. And frankly, most do not understand are know.............. yet.

Pricing on codoms may drop, but I do believe as new things pop out from our work on crosses interest in the macks will keep it from dropping as quickly as many predict. Say for instance something cool pops out from a mack bell crossing, people will want to obtain the products required to produce this morph..... demand was already there, pricing may be dropping over time, but will be increased due to new potential for example and basically keep it from dropping as quick, hold it steady, or perhaps even put them in such a high demand pricing increases. Time will tell

Both seem like sound investments at this time, personally I've invested in both. If I had to choose one, it would be the Mack Snows. There are many more possibilities with that particular investment, more potential to create "bigger and better" things.... And to be honest, its so much fun

All in all, choose what YOU prefer and would like to work with. It should really be about personal preference first, investment or profit last. Good Luck!

Old 10-23-2005, 01:32 PM   #5
Golden Gate Geckos
For the average hobby breeder, I honestly do not think ANY leopard gecko is a real investment. Their only investment value lies in the offspring they will produce, and prices for those geckos will eventually go down. The market is pretty saturated with so many geckos for sale that even well-known breeders are overstocked and selling geckos at lower prices in order to move them. Unless the gecko-buying public knows who you are, it will not be as easy to sell your geckos in this buyer's market... especially if you have high-end animals that you would need to sell for under their market value in order to compete with the big name breeders.

For me, the real value in my leopard geckos lies in my enjoyment in raising them and the relationships I have made over the years with other leopard gecko enthusiasts.

Old 10-23-2005, 01:35 PM   #6
Chris@TSE
very good statement indeed!

Old 10-23-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
EndoZ
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not looking to breed something as a business prospect, I'm just looking for something that will help my hobby be a bit more self-sustaining. It wouldn't be a matter of trying to compete with or undercut some of the more well-known breeders, I'd just like to be able to sell some things here and there to finance other projects.

Neal

Old 10-23-2005, 06:52 PM   #8
Vince
what kind of stuff do you like?

Old 10-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #9
Chris@TSE
then simply buy what you like!
thats what I would do

Old 10-24-2005, 10:23 AM   #10
TheKeeper
Marcia, I could not have said it any better. You gotta love them or else why breed them. At least that's what I think.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!