For Sale Crown Snakes. .... Very Cool............ - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Snakes For Sale/Wanteds > Other Snakes

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Upcreek83
Crown Snakes. .... Very Cool............

I have 4 crown snakes for sale.
These guys are a very small species of snakes. They were orginally caught in Pickens S.C. They love to eat termites, etc.
I very seldomly run across these guys in the wild and there have been years in a row where i have not found any at all.

Im asking $35 for the small yearlings and im asking $45 for the adult female and she is definately gravid. If you want them all then shipping is free.

I accept paypal and or money order.

Please Feel free to call me at 864-871-7201

Thanks and God Bless

Jonathan Benson
Attached Images

Contact User Check User
Old 05-08-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
OneLoveReptiles
Anything else besides termites that they can eat? Very cool little guys! Thanks!

Old 05-08-2011, 03:13 AM   #3
kingpinreptiles
they eat centipedes as well. but they don't ever make good captives.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpinreptiles View Post
they eat centipedes as well. but they don't ever make good captives.
Interesting. So where does one get a regular supply of termites or centipedes to feed them in order to keep them in captivity for any amount of time?

I'm curious on the seller's exact experience with this species. Does he have success keeping them longterm? or does he just catch them and slap a random price tag on them to make a quick buck?

There's a reason crowned snakes aren't really kept often in captivity.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
kingpinreptiles
^ Yeah I didn't want to state the facts that you stated because I didn't want to make it seem like I was bashing the seller. I'd be able to keep Tantilla through the spring/summer as I live near the woods and centipedes are easy enough to find under rocks. In captivity though they usually either don't eat, they dry up because it's not moist enough in their enclosure, or they get skin blisters because it's too moist in their enclosure. Regardless of if the snake is doing good or not you're not going to see it very often as it's a snake that likes to spend most of it's life underground.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
MDC_Ophiuchus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpinreptiles View Post
^ Yeah I didn't want to state the facts that you stated because I didn't want to make it seem like I was bashing the seller. I'd be able to keep Tantilla through the spring/summer as I live near the woods and centipedes are easy enough to find under rocks. In captivity though they usually either don't eat, they dry up because it's not moist enough in their enclosure, or they get skin blisters because it's too moist in their enclosure. Regardless of if the snake is doing good or not you're not going to see it very often as it's a snake that likes to spend most of it's life underground.
LOL...maybe I'm just in a mood, or maybe its the fact that I'm just seeing this happen more and more; People selling herps that hardly feasible to keep in captivity, especially for new hobbyists.

Advertising these as "Very cool...loves to eat termites" doesn't fool folks like you or me but to some Joe Smith who has never heard of them might fall for it, but a couple, get them home, and then its like, "Gee, where am I going to get termites or centipedes reliably every few days to keep this snake alive?" I can guarantee you Jonathan Benson doesn't care.

Its nothing personal; I suppose its one thing if it was a species that would acclimate well like a kingsnake or a pond-slider or something. But stuff like tiny little salamanders and crowned snakes make poor captives, unless you're a dedicated diehard enthusiast of those species.

Mike, I know you're into the ringnecks, which is a pretty specialized niche community itself, so I know you can relate. The market for crowned snakes is pretty darn small, wouldn't you say?

Old 05-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
kingpinreptiles
I don't see how there could possibly even be a market for Tantilla... I know of albino specimens that have been found and simply photographed and released right after because everybody knows you'll only have limited success with them.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
This is not a discussion thread, it's a classified ad. You can convey your opinions via PM to the OP.

Thank you, we appreciate your cooperation.
-April

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!