National Right-to-carry Reciprocity Bill - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
dirty_harry
Exclamation National Right-to-carry Reciprocity Bill

I think i can already see how this thread is going to go, but this is something that i feel *VERY* strongly about, so I am going to post it anyway. Personally, I believe that this is one of the best pieces of legislation to be considered (and hopefully passed) in a long time.

U.S. Representative Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) recently introduced H.R. 4547-a national Right-to-Carry (RTC) reciprocity bill that would honor state carry licensees nationwide. The bill would allow any person with a valid carry permit or license issued by a state to carry a concealed firearm in any other state if they meet certain criteria. The bill would not create a federal licensing system; it would simply require the states to recognize each other's carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses.

I strongly urge anyone and everyone to contact your representative to urge that they pass this bill with no amendments as quickly as possible.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this both pro's and cons. And please... lets keep it civil.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
Lucille
I think it's a terrific idea. I think if the states computerize and honor reciprocity, it will cut out huge trainloads of useless paperwork that has nothing to do with carrying, but does frustrate and confuse everyone.

There are some states with more stringent requirements for their own citizens and I can see them putting up a fuss, and that is a hurdle to successful completion of this concept.

But the concept itself rocks.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
INSANE CANES
Thumbs up

I sure hope it passes.
There are already a few states that do this already.
Not sure of which ones they are exactly.
I have had my CWP for 16 years or so now, and would vote for it, if i could.

Good post.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
reptilebreeder
Yes, that would be awesome if it passed.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
dirty_harry
Talking

wow... i was half expecting an immediate flame war erupting against me, LOL. I agree, i really think that it will be great that legal, law abiding citizens would finally be able to exercise their RIGHT to be able to protect themselves, family and friends wherever they go, and not have to worry about a myriad of laws when crossing state lines.

I think alot of the more strict states would likely also back down and enable more people to get a license. this would be great for people in CA, where permits are VERY RARELY issued. I remember hearing that there are only about 4 (four)... but i know that of those that have been issued, ironically Feinstien owns one of them.... surprise, surprise!

Old 04-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #6
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_harry
wow... i was half expecting an immediate flame war erupting against me, LOL. I agree, i really think that it will be great that legal, law abiding citizens would finally be able to exercise their RIGHT to be able to protect themselves, family and friends wherever they go, and not have to worry about a myriad of laws when crossing state lines.

I think alot of the more strict states would likely also back down and enable more people to get a license. this would be great for people in CA, where permits are VERY RARELY issued. I remember hearing that there are only about 4 (four)... but i know that of those that have been issued, ironically Feinstien owns one of them.... surprise, surprise!
Feinstien...thanks, I just had lunch. If you look in the dictionary under hypocrisy it probably shows a picture of every member of congress, but her picture would be the head cheese. She makes me sick. Anyway, CA gun laws are the worst, still waiting to see if the San Fransisco ban on all weapons inside city limits is going to hold up. CWP are issued by the Sheriffs of each county, big city politician sheriffs like those in SF, and LA county probably issue very few, but some counties, like mine which is mostly a rural farming county, there are actually quite a few CWP's issued.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
PaulSage
Wisconsin tried to pass this idea a month or so ago, and it failed. I'm not an avid gun collector (just have a few antiques) but I was kinda hoping it would have passed. I got the impression that the state was not confident of it's own competence when it came to efficiently and accurately issuing CWP's to law-abiding citizens. They were probably right.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #8
INSANE CANES
Talking

Quote:
wow... i was half expecting an immediate flame war erupting against me, LOL.
Well don't wanna disappoint you.

You've been flamed.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:52 PM   #9
dirty_harry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilebreeder
Feinstien...thanks, I just had lunch. If you look in the dictionary under hypocrisy it probably shows a picture of every member of congress, but her picture would be the head cheese. She makes me sick. Anyway, CA gun laws are the worst, still waiting to see if the San Fransisco ban on all weapons inside city limits is going to hold up. CWP are issued by the Sheriffs of each county, big city politician sheriffs like those in SF, and LA county probably issue very few, but some counties, like mine which is mostly a rural farming county, there are actually quite a few CWP's issued.

haha, yeah sorry about that... bad name to bring up around lunchtime... i had to edit my "draft" of my first response, because it is REALLY difficult for me to not mention her name both preceeded and followed by a string of "colorful" words

Its true though, pretty much any politician has a major janus complex going on, but boy she just makes my blood BOIL! ::takes sedatives::

I forget where i originally got that statistic about her and having a permit... it may just be the county/town/locality she is in has one, of which she is a one of the few holders.

As far as the citywide ban, it was defeated before, and I hope the politicians/courts will do the right thing and defeat it again. It really couldn't be anymore unconstitutional unless they simultaneously removed the right to free speech and to vote at the same time. Its been documented and proven time and time again... The only thing laws like that will do is disarm legal, law abiding citizens... criminals don't care if there is a law against having weapons, they are going to have them anyway- hence the term criminal.... As a matter of fact, they would probably PREFER that there was such a law, so that they would know whenever they are robbing somebody, that person won't have a gun too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSANE CANES LLC
Well don't wanna disappoint you...
Haha, thanks, SOMEBODY had to do it

Old 04-10-2006, 11:58 PM   #10
Lucille
Quote:

Its true though, pretty much any politician has a major janus complex going on,
I do not think that is true. I think like anywhere else you have good people and people who aren't.
But you use a broad brush here; there are some people who give their lives in public service, to help others.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!