herpstat question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
Jus10
herpstat question

ok...i just purchased a herpstat for my hovabator from matt and i hooked it up at 10:00 this morning, but i cant seem to keep the temperatures constant. i have tried adjusting the power modes, i have tried unplugging the holes so it will cool down quicker and i just can seem to keep it constant. i have it set at 81.3 degrees and my range is from 80.3 - 83.8 which is a 3.5 degree change and i got that without the herpstat. any input would be great.
thankyou,
Justin

Old 04-12-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
jglass38
What is the heat source? Where do you have the probe? How is the probe secured? I use Herpstats and love them. I typically get less than a 2 degree swing (and I attribute most of that to the thermometer).

Old 04-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
A_Kendergirl
Perhaps the probe is too far away (or too close) from the heat source? I haven't set up an incubator myself to know, but it would seem that you want the probe close enough to detect heat fluctuation in time for it to dim properly. Also...keep the container closed for several hours with it running, it should stabilize. I'm confusing myself here...so I'm probably not being much help...sorry! I love my herpstat, and rarely have more than a degree in variance.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #4
Jus10
for the heat source i am just using the one that came with the hovabator. i just have the probe hanging down in the center of the incubator near the bottom. should i have it set up differently? i appreciate your help
thanks

Old 04-12-2006, 11:01 PM   #5
Jus10
also should i have the probe in the incubator or in the incubating container
thanks

Old 04-12-2006, 11:26 PM   #6
hhmoore
do not put the probe inside the egg container...it will take longer to heat up and you can experience greater temperature swings, esp after opening the incubator

Old 04-13-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
snared99
I have the exact same setup as you with the herpstat and there is a hole in the incubator for the probe already. The hole is on the left side(the side with the hindges), And just place the probe in the hole, the rubber on the probe will stop it when it is in far enough. Mine has less then a 2 degree difference with this method.

Old 04-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
Jus10
i dont think that i have the same hovabator as you pat...mine is the 1602R and doesnt have any hinges. it does have three holes in the top though...one in the middle and then a larger one on both sides that you can plug to let more air in or less air in. i have my probe hanging down through the middle one about an inch off of the bottom. i had to kind of push the probe through the middle hole though as it is smaller than the ones on the side...is this the hole that you are talking about? should i just push it into the hole until it is firm and not all the way through?
thanks for the help,
Justin

Old 04-13-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
snared99
I appologize I thought you bought the incubator from mike as well. That is the incubator I have. I used to use that kind of incubator but switched cause it was not very constant in temp.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:15 PM   #10
Rick007
Are you running in ON/OFF or Proportional Mode. The Herpstat can run in either. If in ON/OFF it would explain the teperature swing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!