Herpstat Problem ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
Mike P.
Herpstat Problem ?

I've been running 1 RBI sweaterbox rack off of an original herpstat since last summer with no problems - today I received another duplicate rack "same heat setup - same rack", however when I plug it into my herpstat i receive error code 4, and the temps drop.

When I unplug it from the thermostat, the thermo works fine - with the old or new rack plugged in.

I've tried disconnecting power to the thermostat, disconnecting the sensor probe, and re-arranging the plugs from the racks into the thermostat, however it simply will not work with 2 racks plugged in ?

The racks are only pulling 40-60 watts a piece from my understanding, and the thermo is supposed to handle 500 watts.

Anyone else encounter this problem and/or a solution ?

Thanks

Mike

Old 01-19-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
garweft
Are you sure that you are using the original herpstat?

Mine only has error codes up to #3

The herpstat ND has 5 error codes, and I am not sure about the pro models.

Here is there site. They have online manuals in PDF files. Just click on the model on the left side of the page, then scroll to the bottom of the model page for the link to the PDF. Hope this helps.

Spyder Robotics

Old 01-19-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft
Are you sure that you are using the original herpstat?

Mine only has error codes up to #3

The herpstat ND has 5 error codes, and I am not sure about the pro models.

Here is there site. They have online manuals in PDF files. Just click on the model on the left side of the page, then scroll to the bottom of the model page for the link to the PDF. Hope this helps.

Spyder Robotics
Older Herpstat's had error codes up to 6.

The higher error codes essentially indicated the same as error # 3 on the current Herpstat's.

Mike:

Are you using proportional or on/off mode?

Did you move the probe to the new rack?

Old 01-19-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
Mike P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ashton
Older Herpstat's had error codes up to 6.

The higher error codes essentially indicated the same as error # 3 on the current Herpstat's.

Mike:

Are you using proportional or on/off mode?

Did you move the probe to the new rack?
I am using it in proportional mode, and the probe has not been moved from the original rack - theoretically the same amount of power should be sent to both racks, so I see no need to move the probe - Of course I was going to test the temps overnight in the new rack before I moved the snakes from their tubs to the rack.

I can plug either the older rack, or the new identical rack in one at a time, and get no error codes from the thermo - once I plug in a 2nd rack into the thermo, I start receiving the error codes, and it shuts down and drops the temps

Mike

Old 01-20-2007, 12:05 AM   #5
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teiidae
I am using it in proportional mode, and the probe has not been moved from the original rack - theoretically the same amount of power should be sent to both racks, so I see no need to move the probe - Of course I was going to test the temps overnight in the new rack before I moved the snakes from their tubs to the rack.

I can plug either the older rack, or the new identical rack in one at a time, and get no error codes from the thermo - once I plug in a 2nd rack into the thermo, I start receiving the error codes, and it shuts down and drops the temps

Mike
As long as both racks are equivalent in terms of wattage - you are correct - the Herpstat should control both of them.

I had my Herpstat set-up to run two 150 Watt heat lamps providing heat to two identical enclosures with no problems at all.

Your unit is an older model. Not sure if any of the specs. changed from the earlier models.

Error code 4 is for an invalid sensor reading.

You should contact Dion from Spyder Robotics at: support@spyderrobotics.com

He's always gotten back to me quickly and has been more than happy to help out.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:55 AM   #6
v2rherp
Quote:

Mike

dion is a good guy and repaired my herpstat promptly, when i had a problem.

it does seem strange that the problem only comes into play when you plug in a second rack?? are you plugging the 2nd rack directly into the cord on the herpstat? there may be a problem with the cord on the herpstat receptacle end? try plugging in a 2-3 way adapter in one of the receptacles on the herpstat. if that works ok, try to plug the 2nd rack into the same 2-3 way adapter, NOT the herpstat cord. just trying to see if the problem is in the herpstat cord.

vaughn

Old 01-20-2007, 06:56 AM   #7
Casey Hulse
Quote:
try plugging in a 2-3 way adapter in one of the receptacles on the herpstat. if that works ok, try to plug the 2nd rack into the same 2-3 way adapter, NOT the herpstat cord. just trying to see if the problem is in the herpstat cord.
Also try plugging in an apliance with higher wattage than the 1 rack and see if the error code appears, not too high of wattage, a 150watt light bulb should be about right.
Can you identify the heatsource in the RBI racks? Perhaps it draws more wattage than you suspect?

Old 01-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #8
Mike P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rherp
dion is a good guy and repaired my herpstat promptly, when i had a problem.

it does seem strange that the problem only comes into play when you plug in a second rack?? are you plugging the 2nd rack directly into the cord on the herpstat? there may be a problem with the cord on the herpstat receptacle end? try plugging in a 2-3 way adapter in one of the receptacles on the herpstat. if that works ok, try to plug the 2nd rack into the same 2-3 way adapter, NOT the herpstat cord. just trying to see if the problem is in the herpstat cord.

vaughn
Vaughn - I tried as you suggested - when I plug a 3 way directly into the herpstat receptacle, the thermo still works fine - Than when I plug the other rack in, I get the error code - This is true of either rack, so it seems that when I try to pull power from the thermo to more than one device, the error code comes into play.

I've e-mailed Dion last night, but have not heard back yet - unfortunately I do not have my receipt or anything, so I hope he has me in his system if it needs to go in for warranty work.

Worse case I have a few of them cheap ESU on/off thermostats I can hook up for a few days till I get another thermo in

Old 01-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
Mike P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Hulse
Also try plugging in an apliance with higher wattage than the 1 rack and see if the error code appears, not too high of wattage, a 150watt light bulb should be about right.
Can you identify the heatsource in the RBI racks? Perhaps it draws more wattage than you suspect?
Casey - both racks are using 11" flexwatt for backheat - about 2' per rack - the paperwork that comes with the rack states that each rack uses 40-60 watts of heat tape, and a 500 watt thermo can handle up to 8 racks - I'm only trying to run 2 racks

Old 01-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #10
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Casey - both racks are using 11" flexwatt for backheat - about 2' per rack - the paperwork that comes with the rack states that each rack uses 40-60 watts of heat tape, and a 500 watt thermo can handle up to 8 racks - I'm only trying to run 2 racks
One foot of 11" Flexwatt is 20 Watts.

So your total draw should be 80 Watts.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!