Someone help me pleez - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-16-2003, 08:37 PM   #1
Bob Kite
Question Someone help me pleez

I have had an epeidemic..... I do not know what is going on but in the last 2 weeks I have had 4 ball pythons just up and die, each one that i have found has regurged its food first,,,, I need as much advice as possible if anyone has heard of this or has had it happen.....These balls were nowhere near any of the rst of my collection, but i have went to the effort and carefully cleaned all of my cages and enclosures, and threw out the enclosures that they were in... all of the rest of my snakes seem to be doing allright and are fat as usual but i have quite an investment in my collection and do not want to see any others go.... please, any info would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Bob Kite

Old 01-16-2003, 11:17 PM   #2
Seamus Haley
Necropsy.

(Got one under a hundred Neil.)

Old 01-17-2003, 01:07 AM   #3
Clay Davenport
Seamus is right, having a necropsy done by someone qualified to perform it will be the best way to determine cause of death.
Normally a good herp vet can do it, but in some states the state agricultural department has people on staff who are competent in this area as well.

If you happen to have another to die, do not freeze it. Many who have never had a necropsy done don't realize this.
If you must wait a couple of days to take it in, you can refridgerate it, but the freezing causes cell destruction.

In the mean time, practice strict quarantine procedure. Any animals housed in the room with the ones who died must be kept seperated from the rest of the collection.
Service these animals after you have serviced the others, and do not take tools from one room to another without disinfecting them.
You might also try to isolate any differences from the dead balls and the rest of the collection. Were the balls recently acquired? Were they fed from the same rodent colony or frozen batch as the rest of the snakes? Have you used any dangerous chemicals around these snakes that the healthy ones may not have been exposed to?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!