Just arranged to purchase my first WC ball - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-19-2003, 09:30 PM   #1
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Just arranged to purchase my first WC ball

She is a "1830 WC female LTC normal" that was bred approx two weeks ago to one of their males for three days. The sale is for $200 pkus $35 shipping from "Inner City Reptiles" in Florida. A search of the BOI turned up no info for Inner City Reptiles and I was in a hurry to make the deal so I didn't do an inquiry, so I am just PRAYING I'm making a good deal here.

So, guess I'll see about that on Friday when she is due to arrive. Meanwhile, I've NEVER owned a WC before (Told myself I wouldn't buy one, but temptation got the better of me) I am planning on quarintining her out in my husbands gym (completly different building from where the rest of my snakes are kept) for approx 2 -3 months. Does that sound appropriate?

I am also planning on treating enclosure with "provent-a-mite immediatly (They said they beleived she was parasite free, but I think this would be a good idea just in case) and having a fecal exam done on her first BM (When ever I get one).....should I do anything else?

Also, according to Inner City Reptiles has let me know that they have had her for 5 months and she has not fed for them, but that is probably due to a winter fast, and the fact that she readily bred for three days with one of their males is an indication that she is doing well. Should I be worried if she does not begin feeding for me right away?

Opinions please?

Old 02-20-2003, 01:23 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
Quote:
I am planning on quarintining her out in my husbands gym (completly different building from where the rest of my snakes are kept) for approx 2 -3 months. Does that sound appropriate?
Very good idea, as is the fecal exam. As a precaution even if the 3 months are up, I wouldn't remove her from quarrantine until she has a good fecal test.

Quote:
I am also planning on treating enclosure with "provent-a-mite immediatly (They said they beleived she was parasite free, but I think this would be a good idea just in case)
Preventative mite treatment is a good idea with any new purchase, but being WC, it is that much more so.

Quote:
Should I be worried if she does not begin feeding for me right away?
I have a general rule I follow with ball pythons. As long as they are drinking and not losing weight, I don't worry about them not eating.
Of course I always take the normal steps to try to induce feeding, but balls seem to be built for fasting and worrying about them won't make them eat.
I have had full adult balls refuse food for 6 months with no weight loss. On the other hand, I was given a WC ball that was injured and I started force feeding after two months of not eating because her weight was dropping significantly. You have to treat each case individually.
You might try both live mice and rats of different colors, and if you get no response often a gerbil will do the trick.
Just have patience and monitor her weight situation.

Perhaps I'm just a skeptic in such situations, but I always wonder why a breeder would sell an adult female, especially one that has been copulating.
I just see it as if they really believed she could be gravid why not keep her for a couple more months at least until the eggs are laid.
I know nothing of the people you made this purchase from, and I am definately not suggesting anything here, it's just something I always question when seeing sales such as this.
Basically I'm just saying I hope she's a wonderful possibly gravid ball, but don't be disappointed if she doesn't lay any eggs.

Old 02-20-2003, 09:26 AM   #3
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Yep, I had the same thoughts about her possibly being gravid. But I figured I had been shopping for a larger female for some time now so I could look at breeding next season, a year before any of my females will be ready to go. That way I can "Practice" before I try to get going with my 5 other females all in one season. So when I saw her priced at $200 I figured I would take the gamble, she was only about $50 more than I was willing to pay for an adult or sub-adult female anyway, and I figure if I just don't buy my Super Lotto tickets for a couple months then I break even on this $50 gamble!

As far as I could tell on the phone, this Inner City Reptiles is a pet store, or dealer not a breeder, so that may be why they did not keep her themselves. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for that "Practice" to begin early, but if not I'll not be broken hearted.......much!

Thanks so much for the advice. I was afraid no one would see this post here and I am SO excited about her that I was itching to go post it in a more populous forum, glad I didn't!

Old 03-05-2003, 11:21 AM   #4
Steph Scranton
I have had good luck getting WC ball pythons to eat by leaving a pre-killed (make sure it's good and dead) mouse/hopper (depends on BP size) in the enclosure over night. I have also had some luck with putting them in a rubbermade with a live fuzzie ( I won't use anything that has it's eyes open). If they start eating this way, after a few meals I can get them to switch over to pre-killed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!