1250g--too small to breed? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-20-2016, 05:54 PM   #1
Eden Exotics
1250g--too small to breed?

I have a female that I just weighed, and she is 1,250g, a bit smaller than I thought, and I know it's recommended for them to be at least 1500. The thing is, I''m already in the cooling process...should I continue and attempt to breed her and see what happens? What are the dangers of breeding a female this size? Will she just not breed or will it cause physical harm to her?
One last question--If she is too small, can I still breed them this year, like in July or so?

Old 02-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #2
NIGRO51
I would not.. There are many discussions on the issues of breeding too early.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:18 PM   #3
ElexisC
I have seen many people start breeding at a low weight like that but feed heavy while pairing and end with high weights, I haven't bred them yet myself and I personally wouldn't do it that way, but I've seen it discussed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Old 02-21-2016, 05:20 AM   #4
NIGRO51
Most of the motives for that are impatience and greed. The well being of the animal should always be first. Too many unscrupulous people in this hobby.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:04 AM   #5
Eden Exotics
Well I don't need personal attacks on my character, it was a legitimate question. If it's not safe, I won't do it.
Could I breed her later on this year if she gets to the right size, or do you need to breed them in the spring?

Old 02-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #6
NIGRO51
Sorry. That was not directed at you.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #7
NIGRO51
As for the other part.. They could breed anytime of year but they will only do it if they want to.

I know a lot of people do not cool the snakes before breeding but that is probably because they use the natural climate changes. (I do this) If you were to try later in the year I would assume cooling would be benficial.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:24 PM   #8
ElexisC
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGRO51 View Post
Most of the motives for that are impatience and greed. The well being of the animal should always be first. Too many unscrupulous people in this hobby.
Like I said I wouldn't do that personally, was just putting it out there that I saw it discussed and maybe it could be expanded upon, I believe a few of those people are in YASMB. And I would agree that it is just what you said. I have a female over 1500 and still haven't paired her yet.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:03 AM   #9
Big Borg Reptiles
The idea behind pairing them when they're a little smaller is that breeding will stimulate the female's eating response causing them to put on weight faster. By the time they actually become gravid they're usually at a good weight.

That being said, I wait until they're bigger to breed. I have a couple females around 1300 that I paired this year simply because they're very stocky and I'm sure they can handle it. I know of people who start pairing at 1000 grams but to me it's not worth the risk. You get much smaller clutches and the odds of having complications are exponentially higher. Think of it as a 14 year old girl having a kid versus a 20 year old...much higher chance things will go wrong with a smaller female.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:42 AM   #10
NIGRO51
There is no guarantee that they will start to eat more once paired. I have a few that willeat year round no matter what but there are a couple that stop once the temps cool.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!