Help with converting. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
LampropeltisCollector
Help with converting.

I have 1.1 Central Plains Milksnakes. My male is 9 inches and my female is 7 inches. I work with every species of hognose snake, but I need some help with getting these gentilis on rodents. They won't eat them. They will only eat snakes and lizards. They are good eaters and never refuse a f/t skink, anole or snake. How can you scent a pinky with a snake?

I got these from my friend Daniel Parker. But, anyway, since they are good eaters, I assume that getting them on rodents won't be a big deal.

Same male, eating f/t Dekay's Brown Snake by Florida Texas Herper, on Flickr[/IMG]

-Jordan

Old 07-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
kgmax1228
Lightbulb scenting pinks

wash them with water to remove mouse smell,and rub them on a frozen cornsnake

Old 09-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
WJS Herps
Well Jordan, for stubborn graybands I do this:

Offer frozen thawed pink while deli-cupped.

No success = brain the pink
No success = wash pink and scent with frozen thawed anole. First attempt I just rub the pink all over the anole, second attempt I split the anole and scent using the guts
No success = try the same thing with a fence lizard, since you're in Spring Hill you should be able to find fence lizards pretty easily.
No success = assist feed mouse tails and keep trying all of the above until something works. I've had luck on a few occasions assist feeding mouse tails until the fall, then cooling the babies a couple of weeks. Sometimes they go right after a pink at that point. I will also try live baby anoles that I catch and if they take those, I will gradually introduce scented pinks and scent them less and less until they take unscented. Hope this helps!

Old 09-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
LampropeltisCollector
My gentilis are actually eating real good now on rodents with no scent required. I will have some Red Milks, New Mexico Milks and Pale Milksnakes in soon from various localites.
-Jordan

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!