Cali king, first shed and feeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
ptillett
Cali king, first shed and feeding

Thanks for the previous help.

As stated before, I am new to snake keeping.

My new cali king, just a baby, shed while I was out of town this weekend. She seems fine. But, she doesn't seem to want to eat. The last two offerings of a frozen pinky, she has refused. I offered on day six, and then day seven. Today is day eight since her last meal.

She seems upset or disturbed when I go to feed her. I place the pinky in a container with her. She has access out of the container into her enclosure. This has worked up till now.

Just give her some time? Should I offer food in a different manner? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Fatman608
I have never owned a Cali king that ever missed a meal. I would leave the pinky in there all night long. If that did not work I would put him in a container with air holes over night with the pinky.

I also feed mine with 10" long hemostats and on adults I use 18" hemostats but you can use long tweezers so the pinky moves like it is alive.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
ptillett
She did eat on day 8. I put the pinky just inside the entrance to the hide she was in and left it all night. It was gone in the morning. whew. Glad she ate.

I handled her some yesterday evening. Just trying to get her used to me. She extruded some nice yellow stuff on my hands. I have heard of musking, but that is usually a scent (my ferret would so kindly musk me before work. I would have to change clothes and wash!). Was this musking or just pooping on my hand. I didn't exactly smell it! Just wiped my hands off till I could do a good scrub.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!