Speckled Kingsnake questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
Cinnamon
Speckled Kingsnake questions

I was looking into getting another snake, and have really taken a liking to speckled kingsnakes. I'm really interested in owner's experiences with keeping them. Also, the average price and availability of them, if possible. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
Pmsayi
They sometimes get a wrap of being high strung and aggressive but I have not found that to be true of any that I have kept in the past or currently. They are alert and relatively quick moving. They don't sit still very long and are not going to just sit around your shoulders like a ball python. They are easily housed in a rack system and tend to average around 30".

They can go for anywhere from $25 up. Average looking normal specimens with heavy cross barring are relatively easy to find as are white-sided and albino specimens. Finding ones with little to no cross baring and heavy speckling is a little more difficult. All in all I really like these snakes and they are one of my personal favorites when it comes to king snakes.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
a153fish
I have some from The New Orleans area which is where I grew up. These were my first snakes as a kid, and I really like them. Some can be a little nervous and musky, but with regular handling they can calm down a lot. I have seen some and owned some that were extremely calm and would sit on my chest while I watched tv. They can vary quite a bit, and also in looks as they interbreed with other subspecies on the fringes of their range. Here are the 2 I have, male first.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
Women
Ah the speckle king snake they are awesome they can be a little bit high strung but when I had my girl she was as sweet as can be. And a153fish that is a gorgeous looking male you have there.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
a153fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Women View Post
Ah the speckle king snake they are awesome they can be a little bit high strung but when I had my girl she was as sweet as can be. And a153fish that is a gorgeous looking male you have there.
Thank you very much! I am in Florida now, and I wanted to get a pair from the area I grew up in. I was lucky to get the female on line from a guy who we later became friends, and my Daughter brought me the male a year later. She still live in the New Orleans area, and her cousin caught him. So he's extra special cause my Daughter gave him to me. If the female is large enough come spring, I hope to breed them.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Women
You should have some bueatiful babies if you do breed them and you get some babies sure love to see pics of them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!