what can i feed my king - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
gavinrmsy
what can i feed my king

Hey what is the rule for king snakes food size? Well mine is a little over 2ft and 2/3inch wide at the widest pointShe should be 6 months old what can I feed her. brooks king

Old 11-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
cjmingledolph
I would go with mice fuzzies or rat pinkies

Old 11-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
gavinrmsy
K thanks how much should they weigh when the snake is 65 grams

Old 11-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
Fatman608
A 65 gram snake should weigh 65 grams or did you mean the mouse fuzzies(4 to 7 grams).

Old 11-26-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
gavinrmsy
I meant the fuzzy weight just got some 5 grams at the pet store

Old 12-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
BlackIndigo
You would be amazed what they can eat. Snakes know how much and when to eat. As kings get larger, people tend to feed them the same amount (say 1 mouse a week) and then they find its getting more aggressive and sometimes biting. Typically if it is a "friendly" snake, it's just hungry. My Brooksi eats alot and can easily eat Adult mice. Its a bit larger then yours but could eat, XL. let him (or her) decide.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
D. Mong
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIndigo View Post
You would be amazed what they can eat. Snakes know how much and when to eat. As kings get larger, people tend to feed them the same amount (say 1 mouse a week) and then they find its getting more aggressive and sometimes biting. Typically if it is a "friendly" snake, it's just hungry. My Brooksi eats alot and can easily eat Adult mice. Its a bit larger then yours but could eat, XL. let him (or her) decide.
Excellent advice!,...and I agree 100%. They have an incredibly fast metabolisms compared to some other colubrids if allowed to properly thermoregulate to digest their meals properly, and I usually feed young growing ones two of whatever they can manage to get down their smallish heads at a time twice a week. As they reach maturity, this can be altered according to their specific needs and what your plans are for them....(e.g. a breeding female, etc...)

To the OP,.......they have voracious appetites and VERY strong neck muscles that can force/compress prey down their necks quite well.

~Doug

This huge male is 68 inches long and almost 4 lbs. Not fat at all either, just lean and LARGE!

A gravid female...NOT obese, just becoming full of eggs!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
BlackIndigo
Great Collection Doug!

Old 12-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
AbsoluteApril
It's amazing how fast they grow! My lil baby has doubled in size in just a few months (started at 1 mouse fuzzy/wk, now already up to hopper size)

Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
gavinrmsy
thanks for all the information mine is no now 78 grams and is eating 5-6 gram fuzzies 2 times a week

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!