Peach Throats WANTED + Question PLEASE HELP - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Monitors

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 08:58 PM   #1
djmidkiff
Red face Peach Throats WANTED + Question PLEASE HELP

I am looking for BABY peach throats, preferably CB or CBB, to start a breeding project of my own. I know that CBB aren't likely, but I'm going for it anyway. Please email me with ANY available babies. I would like an unrelated pair, obviously, so I would need the sex guarunteed.

Now I know questions aren't supposed to go here but I'm not having any luck with it anywhere else. My 2 year old peach throat is rubbing his face so bad on his cage doors that is it a constant bloody scab and won't heal, and as clean as I keep him, I'm afriad of infection. His cage is HUGE so I know that's not the problem, he just loves to come out, and does almost everyday... so he stands up straight and scratches the glass, rubbing his face back and forth - his way of saying "ok I'm ready to come out now." Any ideas to make him stop? I've put antibiotic ointment on it for about a week and a half now, but it's been months... and he just won't give it a chance to heal. And the Vets were clueless.

THANKS!
Deniece
  Contact User Check User
Old 12-30-2004, 10:34 PM   #2
romad119
How are they?

I ended up with a CB yellow monitor but I have looked at Peachthroats before. I just heard that they were pretty wild but from what you are saying they can be fairly decent as a pet?

Old 12-31-2004, 01:15 AM   #3
Alan Rojas
Talking Peachthroat Check List, Please

Hi DM,
May I suggest that you go down the check-list of possiblities for the constant
glass rubbing;
1) Check inside the enclousure temperature, it may be too hot. Do you have
a source for reading the temp?Many on the market,good ones!
2) Basking spot may be too large and too hot, covering a large area that may
be irritating him or he may not be able to find a cooler place to hide,
again maybe a temp issue. Peachtroats like places to crawl into like logs or
tubes that are pitch black. Check the wattage of your basking bulb as well
as hight from the cage floor to the bulb,maybe too short of distance & hot?
3) Water dish; big enough? Easy for him to figure out how to use?
4) Peachthroats are not a very dry monitor, they come from forests that rain
2/3 rds of the time, 60-80 inches of rain a year, that does not mean to
keep him wet 24-7 just suggesting he has a cool place like 80ish to access.
Hot end of enclosure should still be 100ish.What are his cage demensions?
4) Many many monitors do not understand the concept of glass, they see
beyond it and try to venture forward thru it. try wrapping a towel or paper
around the front of glass area he rubbs, this may not be cure but may
slow him a bit down.
5) How many photo hours consecutively running the cage lights, this could be the bigger problem, Do you keep your furnace on when you are at work?

Just a few things to think about, I had a Peachthroat at one time.....Alan

Old 12-31-2004, 11:12 AM   #4
djmidkiff
some answers

Ok I will try to get everything down. The thermometer about 6 inches away from his basking bulb is at about 95... I was told by the people I got him from to keep his basking spot at over 100. The one on the lower level of his cage says 82. But the only time he goes down to the bottom is when he tries to climb the glass when he wants out, and a few nights when he is too cold staying up top. I run him on a 12L/12D cycle, with just a 75 watt night bulb that is in the lower level of his cage, which keeps it at about 80. He has a huge water tub, which he lays in from minutes to hours, and sometimes will sleep in. It is also the halfway mark in his cage from one end to the other. Now, his cage is split into 2 levels, like I said, the total dimensions are 4x4x2. We are in the works of getting a 6x4x2, also two levels, but the top will house him, and the bottom our boa. Reason being, he doesn't use the bottom of this cage often enough to make the top alone enough room as he grows.
Thanks for your help, I will try a step down on his basking bulb and see if that helps. Now the picture is just so you can see the cage, the contents are no where near the same.
  Contact User Check User
Old 01-02-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
djmidkiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by romad119
I ended up with a CB yellow monitor but I have looked at Peachthroats before. I just heard that they were pretty wild but from what you are saying they can be fairly decent as a pet?

Sorry I didn't get back to you before. Yes they are supposed to be on the more skiddish end of the personality spectrum. I think that partially I just got lucky, and handle him almost daily since I've had him. As he is getting older he is getting more pissy though, and still loves to come out, but won't sit still on your shoulder like he used to. I don't know much about yellows but that they cost a lot more!
  Contact User Check User
Old 01-03-2005, 11:49 AM   #6
chaman24
I have 4 CB babies. 2 are from different bloodlines. I am not sure how to sex them though. If you can tell me how that would be great. Let me know if you are interested.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread