Citrus - 2021 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 12-25-2021, 07:08 PM   #1
WebSlave
Citrus - 2021

We didn't think we were going to do all that well with the citrus this year, but things actually turned out better than we thought they would. Connie's Meyer lemon trees didn't look like they did all that well looking at them from the front porch of the house, but when I walked in back of them, well, different story there!

Then the Poncan tangerine trees, especially the larger of the bunch in that particular spot, really went all out this year. It's going to be a struggle to eat them all before they go past their prime. But we are sure going to give it a try, since those are about the best tasting tangerines around. At least in our opinion. Since we haven't been buying much fresh fruit lately, these are a real treat for us.
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2021, 10:21 PM   #2
Insomniac101
Those look so good; you can't beat fresh fruit! I bought some watermelon yesterday, and it just didn't taste good. I don’t know if they come up from Mexico this time of year, but I can't wait for fresh, locally-grown fruit next summer.

Old 12-25-2021, 11:07 PM   #3
bcr229
So... do you ship?

I'm sure there's all sorts of laws prohibiting that. Sigh.

Old 12-26-2021, 04:07 AM   #4
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
So... do you ship?

I'm sure there's all sorts of laws prohibiting that. Sigh.
Heck, I don't know. I can see them being concerned about incoming or intrastate shipments, but not sure why there would be any concern about outgoing interstate shipments to states that don't produce citrus. Obviously it is allowed under some circumstances since there are a few growers in the state who can ship out citrus.

I know there are several citrus pathogens about, which is why we stopped buying new trees a couple of years ago. Sure would hate to get a new tree that had something that would wipe out EVERYTHING on us. And I am sure this is exactly why there are likely regulations about shipping citrus.

Actually wish we could ship out without any red tape or headaches. Not a chance in hell we will be using up all those lemons. Connie likes them, but I don't care for them much. Especially when there are other citrus ready to eat instead. People say the ones we produce are the sweetest ones they have ever tasted, and I think it is because of the cross pollination between the lemons and the Poncan tangerines. Connie will squeeze juice out of the lemons and make ice cubes out of it that she keeps in the freezer. But you can only put so much of it away every year. She really likes putting the lemon juice on the seafood she eats.

We have LOTS of Poncans which recently ripened. The earlier satsuma are almost gone, and we still have a LOT of Changshi (also heard them called changsha) still on the trees that ripened pretty early. They grow true from seeds and we have a lot of small trees coming up from seeds we have spit out randomly while eating them and taking a walk around the property. Got several navel oranges on a single tree as well as the cara cara variety on another tree. And we have fruit on the pineapple orange, too. I didn't care for them much till we discovered that they are slow to ripen, but once they do, man, they ARE really good. Got only one of Connie's giant pomelos this year, and the Dancy orange next to it didn't produce anything.

The Satsumas have been very tasty the last few years and nearly seedless. The Changshi are very sweet but loaded with seeds. It is really a great thing to be able to take a walk around the property and just pick fresh citrus off of the trees to munch on while taking the walk.

Anyway, I think I must have weeded out the squirrel population pretty good, since I haven't seen any signs of them getting into either the tangerines, nor the pear trees when their fruit was ripe. They REALLY irritated me last year. I fed a local hawk pretty well over the Spring and Summer months, since he learned to recognize a rifle shot as a dinner bell. I guess he has probably given up on me, since there haven't been many squirrels around lately.

Anyway, I am sure there would probably be a lot of red tape involved shipping citrus. And I sure as heck don't want to put myself in the position of having to have inspectors tromping all around here just to be able to do that. You never know what you may be opening yourself up to by opening up that sort of can of worms.

But anyone nearby to north Florida who wants to stop by and get some citrus for free, well, give me a shout. We give away what we can to local friends and neighbors. We really hate to have to just watch some rot on the trees because we can't eat them fast enough.

Old 12-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #5
WebSlave
BTW, you can't really tell the size of these citrus fruits from the pics while they are on the trees. FYI, these aren't those little things that you usually see in the grocery stores.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2021, 03:46 PM   #6
JColt
I remember growing up in Orlando back when it was still a lot of sand roads and scrubland. On the way to grade school there was a house in the middle of this sand road all by itself. It was loaded with kumquat tree's.

This little old lady was out one day so I asked her what they were. She used the tree's as a border and rarely ate the fruit and said I could have as much as I wanted. My mom loved them and even stopped over to talk to her to make sure I wasn't just taking them. We had more fruit than we could ever eat. I usually had some going to school and more on the way home.

Last time I was down that way that sand road turned into a 6 lane black top. The dozen or so houses all gone and is now pro buildings and gas stations. No scrubland to be seen.

Those scrubland area there were rumored to house skunk ape's. Never seen one but boy did I keep an eye out for them! That area did have some huge coachwhips though.

Nice seeing those citrus trees Rich. Good looking harvest.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!