Is there a black king snake that is not a Mexican king? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
tmermie
Question Is there a black king snake that is not a Mexican king?

OK folks here’s the deal:
My very first snake that I acquired was in 1998 (yes I’m old) and was a kingsnake. He was mostly solid black with a white/creamy belly and some light speckling on his sides (if I remember correctly it’s been a long time and I’d need to dig up some photos of him). At that time in my herp life I had never heard of a Mexican king snake.
Now I see them everywhere and they’re beautiful but I don’t think they necessarily look like my guy.

So my question is this: is there a king snake that looks similar to a Mexican black king but is not a Mexican black king?

I thought I had uncovered one a while back doing a Google search but can’t find it now.

I’ll try to dig up some photos of my guy but they’re pretty buried. I appreciate any and all responses.

Thank you for your time.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:56 AM   #2
snowgyre
Mexican kings and black kings that are found in the United States are the same species, Lampropeltis nigra. They used to be L. getula nigra until the taxonomy fully split them from L. getula. The black kingsnake actually has a decently large range in North America, and they can be quite variable in pattern. This is why common names suck, haha. I bet you had a black king.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
tmermie
Thank u!

I was beginning to suspect as much but back in my day you know ole 1998 I never heard of a Mexican King (until recently) so hence my confusion thank you for clearing it up.

Vaseel was great I really miss him. My first snake was a great experience and probably instilled for me my love of colubrids- though these days I’m more into ratsnake than kings. But they will always remain my first love.

Thanks again!

Old 09-29-2020, 12:58 AM   #4
jlassiter
There is also a melanistic [i]Lampropeltis leonis[\i]

Old 10-11-2020, 04:20 AM   #5
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlassiter View Post
There is also a melanistic [i]Lampropeltis leonis[\i]

Is that a relative of Black Milk snake
Lampropeltis triangulum gaigeae ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 10-11-2020, 10:41 AM   #6
elena
All kings and milks are in the same genus, and therefor closely related. Leonis, known as the Thayer's, Variable or Nuevo Leone Kingsnake, is a distinct species from milksnakes, including the Black Milksnake. In addition, all Black Milksnakes eventually become black, but are not born that way. Melanistic leonis are born black, but it is not the normal appearance of species, but rather a recessive trait (morph).

Old 08-14-2021, 08:43 PM   #7
netviper
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Mexican kings and black kings that are found in the United States are the same species, Lampropeltis nigra. They used to be L. getula nigra until the taxonomy fully split them from L. getula. The black kingsnake actually has a decently large range in North America, and they can be quite variable in pattern. This is why common names suck, haha. I bet you had a black king.
This is not accurate. Mexican black kings are nigrita and the black kings are nigra. Their ranges do not touch and they do not have a large range compared to their congeners. The OP sounds like they are describing nigra. Captively produced MBK typically are a solid dark brown/black including their ventrals.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:24 AM   #8
BoaKeeper
It sounds to me like you had a melanistic speckled kingsnake.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:39 AM   #9
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by netviper View Post
This is not accurate. Mexican black kings are nigrita and the black kings are nigra. Their ranges do not touch and they do not have a large range compared to their congeners. The OP sounds like they are describing nigra. Captively produced MBK typically are a solid dark brown/black including their ventrals.
Nope, @Snowgyre's comments are correct. There are no longer subspecies in the getula complex. The paper that restores the species is here:

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ge_In_Taxonomy

This sort of taxonomic reorganization is very common lately as molecular phylogenetics enables the cleaning up of past shortcomings in evaluating evolutionary relationships.

Great resource for taxonomy information is here:

https://reptile-database.reptarium.c...species=getula

https://reptile-database.reptarium.c...&species=nigra

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
getula, king, kingsnake, lampropeltis