what would you honestly do and why? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #11
Dawn Zimmerman
I just got my first snake 3 weeks ago, and I adore him! I can't imagine having to part with Riley because of the stupidity of others. The thought of this hypothetical situation coming to pass is unnerving as not only would it mean that keeping my snake would be breaking the law and there would be legal consequences if caught, more than that it would mean that in order to keep him I would have to live a lifestyle that required me to lie to the many people who know I have a snake telling them I got rid of him and lieing to anyone else who would ever ask. So the choice would be to give up your snake and be legal, or keep your beloved pet and become a liar. Sounds like a no win situation to me. Given all that, though, I still can't imagine having to part with Riley!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
Captive Bred Herps
There is always a way to get a permit......

Old 07-01-2010, 02:19 AM   #13
dturner100
I think the fact that the government thinks that with the crap going on that they actually have time to worry about my pets is a joke to begin with.

As well if it truly came down to somebody trying to confiscate my snakes whether it be a corn snake, or all the way up to my 16' burm I'd say good luck getting through the front door without an extra hole in ya.

I was born with the right to persue happiness, and I will die by whatever means necessary protecting that right.

Call me a redneck if you will but I strongly believe that the government breaking into my home to "STEAL" my property would be treated no differently than your common criminal would be.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #14
Piratepythons
I would give them a REAL reason to arrest me But it wouldnt come to that for two main reasons First the country is broke and the cost of undertaking an endevor like this is huge Second Our jails are filled past capacity in most cases with real criminals Also all you have to do is look at the "War on Drugs" to see how successful the government is at banning things If they cant control drugs what makes them think they can control snakes Anyway thats how I will handle it

Old 07-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
gluttony
Its like anything else in this country, they pass these laws out of paranoia. Did anyone ever notice that anything that people can sell or propagate on their own without TAX is made illegal. They can eat a D@#k with their laws. Im going to keep my snakes and turtles, my guns and my cigarettes and smoke a bowl to ease my paranoia...lmfao

Old 07-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
kevin c.
I live here in Kentucky on property that has been handed down from one generation of my family to the next. and i like others would not give up my pets, our commonwealth had been for over 200 years a place where we could grow our own tobacco,corn, hemp etc. we could own practically any animal as long as we were responsible for it, more or less a "frontier spirit" for decades. in the last 20 years we have radically changed for the worst. so-called progressive cities like Louisville,Lexington etc. were(and still are) pumping out "social engineering" politicians and lobbyists. in July of 2005 a law was passed making exotic pets(crocodilians,wolf hybrids,big cats etc.) illegal. if you had the animals prior to that, you could keep them but could not sell,replace or propagate them. all you had to have was proof of you're ownership. many hundreds of pet owners did not have a receipt(no one thought they would have to have one years ago) so were made to give up their beloved pets. all of this legislation was passed so fast it left most pet owners in disbelief that it could happen in a place where we never had a problem with exotics. as a snake owner i feel i and my fellow herpers will be next. like the last law there will be no intelligent reason behind it, it will simply be "nobody should have a snake as a pet it's not normal!" and "that they pose a danger to the general public" that was the logic(although insane) of the last bill! [ CSA "fighting terrorism since 1862"]

Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #17
robincopereptiles
this may sound a little bit crazy but me and some friends are planning on building an underground "bunker" to house all of our soon to be illegal reptiles. i live in fl and have my roc but if an all out ban passes then im literally going underground. the government can kiss it. they are opening pandoras box. imagine all of the riots as soon as s373 or a similar bill passes. thats alot of pissed off reptile keepers. this is my passion, job, hobby, and it took me years to ge what i have now. i just started selling but i have been breeding and keeping reptiles fo as long as i can remember. im not giving up now after all these years. bill nelson can kiss my ass.(s well as anyother person who tries to take this away from us)

Old 07-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #18
AbsoluteApril
I agree with Vanessa that they would most likely have to grandfather in all existing pet reptiles, so hoping that is the case, I would just have to be happy with what I have and not get anything new. If they were outlawed 100% with no grandfather clause I'd have to move to where they were legal to keep. I'd love to live in Hawaii but can't have snakes there, so I will never live there. Can't have snakes over 6' in San Francisco, so I will never live there. I do try to obey *most* laws.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #19
WillArt
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanT View Post
"Honestly"?...They can kiss my ass.

My snakes are going NOWHERE...ever. No matter what. Just the way it is. I live by the rules and orders that I CHOOSE to accept and live by. I hurt NOBODY...ever. And have zero tolerance for the paranoia and stupidity of idiots and the "laws" that are made by and for them...Honestly.
Perfect answer. Again I pay taxes and this is a free country.I actually would not mind sitting in front of a judge just to ask him to repeat himself and ask him how did that sound to you when you sentenced me jail time for owning a snake?
Ask yourself that and if it felt right as a man of the law, putting me away for a python,as the rapist behind me is laughing probably getting off better than me.
How many dogs kill and injure people a year?This is so crazy.To answer your question - its not breaking the law unless your caught,dont get me wrong I will not purposely buy an illegal animal and look for trouble but if I have it,it will be with me until I sell it or it lives out its life.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #20
lnlexotics
I remember something in government class about ex-post facto law, meaning you can't be charged with a crime if the "illegal activity" occurs BEFORE the law making it illegal has passed. I would think those people already in possesion of the animal being made illegal to own would have a right to keep said animal, but not to aquire new ones.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!