War on Pythons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
Kingetula
War on Pythons

OMG!

Yes it's very sad this little girl died. It's horriable but this new war on Pythons is sick and stupid! Rounding up Pythons and just killing them. Why not use the meat or skin for boots and belts? Do these snakes have to go to waist?

First this was an escape snake in a house not a girl walking around the everglades. I know, they don't belong in the everglades... Yeah well I could tell you a number of now wild animals that were not native to America but because they are cute pets or whatever it's ok. (Horses, cat's, birds, lizards, etc...) Sure a Python is a large snake but I bet you we hear more people killed or attacked by dogs than a person attacked in the everglades by a python.

Sure the damn snake eats native wildlife but thats how the story goes. Pick an animal living in North America that doesn't belong here and doesn't cause some damge in one way or another.

Fine round up the snakes but at least use them for something.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
dp252
In North Carolina now they past a law that you have to register your large snakes and pay from what i hear a pretty hefty price to register it and if they find you without such they take your snake and the chances of getting it back is pretty low.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
1red03cobra
Ohioan here,they have been on the war with Constrictors for years here in ohio not sure why but he doesn't bother me till it passes.As for rounding up snakes and killing them,what good is it going to do seriously,Pythons lay eggs the glades are warm enough to support birth so they may waste money killing 500 live snakes but it will only come back to "bite" them in the arse.Welcome to America sucks at times doesn't it?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingetula View Post
OMG!

Yes it's very sad this little girl died. It's horriable but this new war on Pythons is sick and stupid! Rounding up Pythons and just killing them. Why not use the meat or skin for boots and belts? Do these snakes have to go to waist?

First this was an escape snake in a house not a girl walking around the everglades. I know, they don't belong in the everglades... Yeah well I could tell you a number of now wild animals that were not native to America but because they are cute pets or whatever it's ok. (Horses, cat's, birds, lizards, etc...) Sure a Python is a large snake but I bet you we hear more people killed or attacked by dogs than a person attacked in the everglades by a python.

Sure the damn snake eats native wildlife but thats how the story goes. Pick an animal living in North America that doesn't belong here and doesn't cause some damge in one way or another.

Fine round up the snakes but at least use them for something.
Good post. I'm thinking that if you found who was responsible for the roundups, perhaps you could call and suggest uses for the captured snakes.

I understand how we here like reptiles, but there is no question that some of the people who are worried about large pythons loose in the wild have some good points. If you make the effort to look at what they are feeling from their point of view, it is possible that they are not being unreasonable in their misgivings.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
1red03cobra
I understand the round-up,but nothing annoys me more than the media blowing this totally out of proportion(I know it's there job but still doesn't change the fact).When My Business was up and running(Mind you I live in a very Christian area as in 7 churches all within eye sight of one another) and I had enough people ranting and raving to the mayor to close me down because I was raising evil(the whole adam and eve snake thing heard it every day).Thankfully I moved and don;t hear much of anything.But I can only imagine what this will do to some of the Exotic pet stores.Maybe it will help to a point and be an eye opener to the parents wanting to buy there kid a large constrictor or maybe it will cause every one to think every Constrictor is a killer.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #6
Kingetula
I've learned from stories like yours that if you own snakes the best thing to do is keep the mouth shut. I'm glad my neighbors are not jerks. None of them really like snakes but at least they like me and don't go on a mission to ban them in my sub. I may move in a year but I will not be as open about my hobby if I live under the rules of another Home Owners ASSociation.

As you pointed out, the town can rise up against you if it is small enough and the place I want to move to in a year has only 2,000 ish people. I'll keep my mouth shut!

Old 08-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
1red03cobra
Well It was a pet store,so it was hard to keep my mouth shut.The younger folks of the community(ages from 20-40) didn't have much of a problem it was always the retirees that had nothing better to do other than harass me.But all is well now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!