Morbid thoughts? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
darkbloodwyvern
Morbid thoughts?

Is it wierd to be interested in owning dead specimins of snakes/lizards you like/own live specimins of? I am thinking of looking for deceased snakes, possibly a ball python to use the skull/skeleton and skin for educational/personal type purposes.

I collect other dead things and sometimes save bones from the feeders my snakes don't eat, so this would be a continuation of my anatomy fascination. I never purposfully purchase anything that was killed solely for it's corpse. For the most part, dead snakes are cheaper than live snakes, at least any I want to buy, so I won't be asking anyone to slaughter their pets, lol.
It's just nice to show off how cool the animals are when someone does lose one.
I am curious about any opinions?

Old 08-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Jazeira
I have no problem with it.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
chondrogal
I actually think it's pretty cool, I've got a few freezer snakes that I've thought about turning into some art form/skeletal display if I ever get a chance.

Have preserved the skin from one of my larger snakes that was blue.... turned silvery after drying process. Still haven't decided what to make from that skin.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
CurtisF
I find that more honorable to a dead herp than burying it.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
darkbloodwyvern
hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisF
I find that more honorable to a dead herp than burying it.

I never thought of that, but I guess i feel the same way. I have always wanted to have the skulls from my dogs preserved when they passed, it just seems more appropriate and meaningful to me than saving their ashes. I feel the same way about my snakes and other animal bones/items I collect- i am constantly amazed by the beauty and complexity of animal anatomy.

Glad it isn't too wierd sounding, a lot of my non-herping friends think it is creepy to want to keep parts of your dead pets. I think the freeze dried "life-like" ones creep me out more, heh.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
Diggy415
i was watching a friends dog and her dog and mine got into the grave of my dog who passed a year ago. the full skull was exposed but not ready to remove, i couldn't stand it anymore and covered him back up, but thought about the same thing, keeping his skull on my mantle, and might just do that a few more years down the road.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
darkbloodwyvern
I think that would be pretty neat. It's pretty tough dealing with the passing of a pet, I don't know that i could dig them up knowing what the bodies of small dead animals I find outside look like. I know that some beginning vets will practice defleshing on patients who have died- with the owner's permission of course. My boss has several full dog skeletons and cat skulls from the learning days. I imagine it would be expensive to get it done, either by a vet or taxidermist.
anyways, nice to think about anyhow...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!