Goats - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 04-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Southern Wolf
Goats

Since I dont have the business anymore... I have lots of time to think about other things. I just got done reading this article on "rent a goat" for clearing weeds and such. http://realestate.msn.com/article.as...0992&GT1=35009

It got me to thinking... What if I put a couple of goats in the back yard with the dogs. Then I wouldn't have to mow the back yard

I know a couple folks here have goats... what can ya tell me about them. Is my idea feasable? Will a 4 foot chain link fence keep them in?

Any info will help.

Thanks.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I have goats and I've learned a few things the hard way. A goat prefers browse~ as in she wants the bushes and bottoms of the trees MUCH more than the grass. She will eat the grass.....AFTER she has eaten EVERYTHING even vaguely edible (Including tree bark and the dogs food) under the height of a goat standing on her back legs stretching her neck as far as possible. I don't know how high that is for pygmy's but for standard Boers and Nubians it's about 5' high. THEN she will eat the grass...while screaming to convince you she is just about to starve to death.

A 4 foot chain link will keep all but the most determined goat in....and if all there is grass to eat and she can see browse she will become pretty determined.....

Any fence not protected by a line of electric will become a scratcher which she will rub her body against leaning as hard as she can while walking the length of the fence. The fence will become caked with goat hair and begin to lean to the outside.

I don't have any sheep but I understand they make much better lawn mowers. I use electric net fencing and use the horses and cows as lawn mowers sometimes on the property. Usually it's easier just to mow.

I love my goats~ they make both excellent milk and enchiladas! But they are definitely a challenge at times! They do GREAT on browse and will clean up and keep clean brushy wooded areas better than any other critter out there.....but not so much as a lawn mower.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Southern Wolf
Yeah.... I had read in one article (after I started researching) that sheeps make better mowers and are easier to keep in.

Now Im researching them a little more. Dont suppose you have any sheep on your property?

Old 04-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Nope~ no sheep. I have goats~ Dairy and meat, pigs, rabbits (long story...NOT producing rabbits....geriatric useless rabbits that free range in the Peafowl pen) Peafowl, geese, chickens (Silkies and mixed standard egg/meat cross birds), Cows, and horses. We eat everything but the horses, the peafowl and the rabbits (I would if they would make me baby rabbits).

Of course we also have all the snakes, the rats, the mice, some ferrets, cats and dogs too. Two of our dogs are Livestock Gaurdian Dogs. They live in the pastures 24/7 and protect the livestock as their jobs. Its actually really cool to watch them work together when they see a threat~ Tater is the "Alert dog" and Cricket is the "Assassin". Tater will bark and make a fuss while Cricket silently circles around behind the threat.....then thy usually have raccoon or opossum for dinner that night! We are expecting our first litter of LGDs out of Cricket april 29th~ so if you know anyone looking for a good LGD be sure to send them my way please!

Old 04-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
porkchop48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek AKA JM View Post
Nope~ no sheep. I have goats~ Dairy and meat, pigs, rabbits (long story...NOT producing rabbits....geriatric useless rabbits that free range in the Peafowl pen) Peafowl, geese, chickens (Silkies and mixed standard egg/meat cross birds), Cows, and horses. We eat everything but the horses, the peafowl and the rabbits (I would if they would make me baby rabbits).

Of course we also have all the snakes, the rats, the mice, some ferrets, cats and dogs too. Two of our dogs are Livestock Gaurdian Dogs. They live in the pastures 24/7 and protect the livestock as their jobs. Its actually really cool to watch them work together when they see a threat~ Tater is the "Alert dog" and Cricket is the "Assassin". Tater will bark and make a fuss while Cricket silently circles around behind the threat.....then thy usually have raccoon or opossum for dinner that night! We are expecting our first litter of LGDs out of Cricket april 29th~ so if you know anyone looking for a good LGD be sure to send them my way please!

Cheryl - I think you need to send on of them pups on up my way. I am heading out tomorrow to go check out a mini goat farm

The place had a few barns, tack shop, chicken coop and small pond... And goats... Mini goats And free gas

If things go well it looks like I will get to hang out in this forum more often.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
You'll love having a goat! But Free Gas? WHERE?!

Old 04-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
Southern Wolf
Quote:

Do they come pre programed to guard?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
porkchop48
Quote:
You'll love having a goat! But Free Gas? WHERE?!
Around the Malta Oh area.

And we officially bought it

Old 04-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
Do they come pre programed to guard?
Sort of! It's instinctual in lgd breeds like the Anatolian shepherd, and their mother will reinforce the instinct raising the pups in pasture. That's why lgd breeds usually stay with their momma longer up to 12 or16 weeks.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
I have goats and I've learned a few things the hard way. A goat prefers browse~ as in she wants the bushes and bottoms of the trees MUCH more than the grass. She will eat the grass.....AFTER she has eaten EVERYTHING even vaguely edible (Including tree bark and the dogs food) under the height of a goat standing on her back legs stretching her neck as far as possible. I don't know how high that is for pygmy's but for standard Boers and Nubians it's about 5' high. THEN she will eat the grass...while screaming to convince you she is just about to starve to death.

A 4 foot chain link will keep all but the most determined goat in....and if all there is grass to eat and she can see browse she will become pretty determined.....

Any fence not protected by a line of electric will become a scratcher which she will rub her body against leaning as hard as she can while walking the length of the fence. The fence will become caked with goat hair and begin to lean to the outside.

I don't have any sheep but I understand they make much better lawn mowers. I use electric net fencing and use the horses and cows as lawn mowers sometimes on the property. Usually it's easier just to mow.

I love my goats~ they make both excellent milk and enchiladas! But they are definitely a challenge at times! They do GREAT on browse and will clean up and keep clean brushy wooded areas better than any other critter out there.....but not so much as a lawn mower.
My goats seem to leave the bark alone. They feed off lower limbs and are great at keeping the suckers eaten down around the fruit trees. Saves a lot of work getting out and cutting them.

On the other hand, the rabbits have stripped the bark around all the trees they can get their mouths on.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!