new to amphibians looking for a pet - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
kellylake0001
Talking new to amphibians looking for a pet

hello im Misty, and i am looking for a new pet, i am planning on converting a 10g aquarium into a jungle terrarium my teps will can be between 70- 98 im going to have plant lights on the tank and my humidity will be 75-90.

i am interested in purchasing a new amphibian (or 2) who would fit and like to live in a planted tank as of right now i am growing 3 carnivorous plants in organic coco fiber and sphagnum moss. i plan on getting some more plants here soon bamboo and some others.

i am looking at a pac man frog or Dendrobates Azureus "Blue poison Dart Frog"

because there are soooooooooo many amphibians i thought i should ask the experts (YOU GUYS) first before i decide the lucky winner to live in my new tranquil garden i can modify my temps, humidity and *some* lighting to fit the animals (fine tuning ) needs but i would like a daylight animal if possible

please keep in mind i am new to this so i would like a beginner animal and if u could a link to some info on the animal thanks everyone !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
kellylake0001
i am more then willing to look at any animal as long as they will be happy in the environment i made

pools can be added and a hide shelter as well

Old 01-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
GHC Exotics
Thats a pretty wide range of temps and humidity. If you just want something real basic and easy to deal with, you can do different types of small toads. Like southern toads, easy pet, good eaters, fun to watch. Or you could keep a decent size water dish and do something like fire bellied toads, which are inexpensive and fun also, just maintaining a clean water supply for them. Maybe that will give you some ideas. Take care and good luck!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
kellylake0001
thanks for the ideas, like i said i can fine tune temps and humidity and lighting for the animal but thats just the range the plants can deal with.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
porkchop48
No amphibians are going to be happy with temps that high.

FBT need more water than land.

What about figuring out what you want and then fixing up the tank to fit the phib that you want?

Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
GHC Exotics
From what I understood, she was just stating the temp. levels that she could range it from. And she said she could place water ponds and what not in there according to the animal she needs kept, so that being that she could place something in there that takes up 2/3 of the space needed , just for water for the fire bellies... She has many options with that setup, she just needs to decide more what she personally would like, as she has many simple or easy animals to choose from

Old 01-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
kellylake0001
thats it and thanks!!!!! GHE Exotics/ Eric and im open to several different animals just because there are so very many amphibians out there.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
tspuckler
Tiger Salamanders are very hardy and do well in a naturalistic enclosure. No heat or lighting is required - they do best when kept at cool temperatures. They can live a long time and will even take food from your hand. Here's one of mine:

Tim Spuckler
Third Eye Herp
http://www.thirdeyeherp.com/

Old 02-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
kellylake0001
very cool looking i might get one thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!