Problem With My Mellers Eyes; Need Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
rkstr07
Unhappy Problem With My Mellers Eyes; Need Help

Hi, I've got a young meller and within the last week I've been having trouble with its eyes. basically, one looks larger than the other and is like swelled closed. also i've noticed that when I make my presence known by it, the eye turns and a reddish pink bulge of sorts appears in front. I think the other eye is starting to swell closed now as well because it's definately having trouble seeing (blindly reaching for branches; not getting crickets right next to it). I had to leave lights on over night do to temperature for two or three nights, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I'm going to try to post some picrtures in a bit, but any help is appreciated. -Kyle

Old 12-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
Wasnt there something up with certain UVB bulbs causing this problem when they were too close to the enclosure?

Im not 100% sure on this, but i do know that ive seen something like this in the forums before. Maybe it is something you can look further into? Good Luck!

Id definitely talk to an exotics vet though, just to be on the safe side, as a forum can tell you different situations that may be similar, but they may not be able to pinpoint exactly what is wrong. I wouldnt chance it.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
rkstr07
ok, here are the pictures

Old 12-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
rkstr07
And this is the one with the red x that didn't show up:

Old 12-25-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
Dave W.
Howdy Kyle,

FYI - If you haven't peeked at the UVB posting, here it is: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...57&postcount=1

A WC Meller's is subject to a whole host of potential infections and parasite infestations. I'd take him/her to an experienced chameleon vet ASAP. Eye infections, if that is what it is, are readily treatable but there may be other underying issues that will need to be addressed at the same time. Keep him heavily hydrated with long, warm, heavy mistings. Try 100F water sprayed with a handheld pump-up misting bottle for 10-20 minutes at a time, several times a day.

Vets in Florida: http://www.herpvetconnection.com/florida.shtml

Here are some of the standard questions of which you may have already supplied parts:

How long have you had him?
Describe his/her enclosure setup, especially lighting (Make/model/wattage/age/on time/distances...)
Distance of enclosure above your house floor?
Size of enclosure? Screen? Glass?
Plants? Vines? Anything on the bottom other than a nice clean PVC floor drilled for drainage?
Temperatures at basking spot and ambient?
Humidity?
Vitamins and minerals used for insect dusting? How often?
What insect feeders and how often are you feeding your chameleon?
How often does he/she poop and what does it look like? Poop smell?
How does he/she get hydrated with water?

Old 12-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
John E Dove
If your Cham can get close to it's UVB source there is a good chance you aare dealing with photo kerato conjunctivitis.
Read about it here; http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm (be sure you follow the links there as well)

Old 01-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
joshdhensley
Yes, keep it hydrated and you can put terramycin on a wet q-tip and apply it to it's eyes. If it is a bacteria or infection, that will clear it right up.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:03 AM   #8
rkstr07
Thank you to all who have posted on here with help, my cham's doing much better now and loving this FL winter. (possible snow tonight in tampa!?)

Old 01-21-2009, 01:07 AM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkstr07 View Post
Thank you to all who have posted on here with help, my cham's doing much better now and loving this FL winter. (possible snow tonight in tampa!?)
^_^ Im really glad the info helped you!!!!! Any pics of the feller???

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
chameleon, meller, mellers