Cancerous tumor in bearded dragon - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
Johnenewt1
Cancerous tumor in bearded dragon

Hi. I have a 9-year old female bearded dragon who has developed a cancerous tumor in her right shoulder. I noticed her having a right-arm spasm every time she tried to use her arm and then noticed an internal lump developing on her shoulder. I brought her to Dr. Heidi Hoefer here in Long Island, NY, who took X-rays and said even though I brought her in as soon as I noticed the problem, unfortunately the cancerous tumor started in her lung and spread to her shoulder and is inoperable. She said if you attempt to remove it and don't get all of it underneath her ribs, it will become twice as aggressive and would have been all for nothing. Heidi told me if she had a dollar for every bearded dragon that comes in with a tumor, she'd be rich. She said she also has no idea why this happens. My beardie can no longer use her right arm and the ball is growing in size. Her Mom died in the same way at 12-years-old, in the exact same location. I assume it is hereditary. The tumor lasted a year before she died. My other 8 bearded dragons are completely healthy, so I assume it has nothing to do with their diet. They get calcium/D3 dusted and organic leafy greens every day (multi-vitamin weekly) and superworms every couple of weeks. She is eating well despite the tumor.

I'm wondering... it's supposedly a proven fact that cancer cannot exist in humans who are on a high PH / highly oxygenated diet. All you have to do is look at high-PH food charts online and eat fruits and vegetables that are alkaline/high PH. I wonder if I give these specific foods to her if it would shrink the tumor in a bearded dragon. Does anyone have experience or thoughts on this? If so, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

John

Old 12-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
rirvinbrady
Have you tried this diet with her, any improvement?

Old 12-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
Johnenewt1
I actually took the advice from a moderator! at beardeddragon.org of giving her organic maple syrup + aluminum-free baking soda + water mixture which is proven to kill cancer in humans, but it ended up killing her after a week. I suppose it's not meant for dragons. This is the 3rd time I've taken advice from the community when reptile vets couldn't help and it ended up killing a sick dragon. Never again. Painful lesson learned... I was only trying to help her. I checked some old documentation and it turns out she was 12, not 9 - I was only guessing. At least she lived a long life. She probably only would've had a few more months to live anyway with her cancer. I'm constantly trying to remind myself that, even though I'm kicking myself. I should've just tried the high PH fruits and vegetables. It's always difficult when your beardie passes on. Even harder when you have to bury them...

John

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
bearded dragon, disease