First clutch of the year, Silver Ghost "scores" again! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-15-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
The BoidSmith
First clutch of the year, Silver Ghost "scores" again!

Last year this same girl produced 3 eggs (that resulted in 3 babies) sired by what we have labeled "silver ghost". He was imported nearly 4 years ago, clean shed and axanthic/anerythristic as an adult. Today the same female laid again, this time 6 huge eggs. The season is up to a good start as there are other females that hopefully should be laying in the near future (cinnamon and piebald projects). All is well!

Regards.

Old 05-15-2005, 07:34 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
The picture should go here!

It seems todays is not computer's wiz day! This is the picture!

Regards
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
The BoidSmith
Separating eggs that stick together.

Anyone that has reproduced ball pythons knows how difficult it is to separate eggs once they stick together. When using large containers where to place them that’s not a big issue, but when we use smaller delis (as in my case) that fit snuggly in Hovabators that becomes more of a challenge. The delis need to close in order not to defeat their purpose, which are stabilizing temperature and moisture, and avoid the newborns to get in contact with the heating element upon hatching. Even when doing it gently part of the outer membrane of one egg ends up adhered to the adjacent, leaving one of them with a real thin membrane (where they were “glued” together). Has anyone figure a reliable method to split them apart with the least damage to the outer membrane. I was told that working your way gently with dental floss can do the trick but I would like to hear from other people’s experience.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
Wilomn
I've used plain water for years to separate stuck together eggs, ball python and other species as well. I've also never had a problem, that I can recall, from any thin spots on eggs that were separated.

I have occasionally slit eggs to see how things were progressing inside, insatiable curiousity, and used scotch tape to close them up as well as plain papertoweling, soaking wet with water, laid over the opening.

The water thing always worked well for me though.

Good luck.

Old 05-18-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
The BoidSmith
Thanks Wes!

This site really has a wealth of information. Is so good to be able to rely on other people's experiences before making costly mistakes.

Happy herping everyone!

Old 05-18-2005, 06:01 PM   #6
jglass38
Nice Dan! Congrats and good luck with them. This was my first year breeding and the excitement of hatching out babies was just awesome!

Old 05-18-2005, 10:33 PM   #7
The BoidSmith
Thanks Jamie! It looks like it's going to be a great breeding season.

Regards.

Old 05-18-2005, 10:41 PM   #8
Wilomn
Don't forget, I've got PLENTY of room to keep those SECRET new morphs you're working with and NO ONE would EVER see them. HEH HEH HEH

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!