how can I tame a columbian tegu - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-30-2006, 11:31 PM   #1
LiLBalch333
Red face how can I tame a columbian tegu

I have a columbian black and white and no matter what I seem to do he is still aggressive. I am going to start feeding him in a different cage, should have done that from the start, but this was my first tegu and was very ignorant. I started handling him everyday about two weeks ago and there is no change in attitude. The cage is to the right specs and we are feeding him frozen fuzzies. I have read the sticky and wondering if anyone has any other advice?

Old 08-31-2006, 12:21 AM   #2
varnyard
Sheylah, this tegu might get a little tame, but I have never had much luck with tamming Colombian tegus. I have had Nile monitors that could be handled a little bit but I have never had one that was trust worthy. The Colombian tegus are a lot like the Nile monitors. You could try to handle him as much as possable, but he will never become as tame as the Argentine tegus. JMHO.

BTW, how is the new Argentine tegu doing?

Old 08-31-2006, 12:45 AM   #3
LiLBalch333
Hahaha yeah I figured that would be the answere, because she just doesn't want to calm down. Oh they are doing great! So beautiful! They chowed down cricketts and even ate pinkies. Is there anything you reccomend to feed them? Or what had you been feeding them? They are still a little scared, but have even improved from just this early afternoon. I even have marks on the back of my neck from them climbing on me with their sharp little claws. They are awesome! Josh and I both enjoy them more then the Columbian and wow thier personalities and thier beauty is amazing. Thanks so much!

Old 08-31-2006, 01:10 AM   #4
varnyard
Thats great!! Glad to hear you like them!!

I have been feeding ground turkey with herpitive vitamin dust mixed in, crickets, super worms, a little apple, boiled eggs and pinkies.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
LiLBalch333
Wink

yeah we fed them some Giant meal worms too, good to know that they can eat the Super meal worms. A lady at petco who owns an Aregentine (we usually ask he for adive) said that boiled eggs are very bad and you should only feed them boiled eggs once a year because they are bad? Apples, does it matter wether they are red or green? our Columbian wont eat any fruits at all. Should the herpitive vitamin dust be mixed every feeding time? And is it available at PetCo, we've been trying to find good vita supplements, we have the Vita-SPray do you know if thats any good? And we also have the Calcium sust that we mix in the meal worms about once a week. Just want to make sure they have the best of care !!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!