What do y'all look like? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Lonely Hearts Club Forum

Notices

Lonely Hearts Club Forum Looking for someone with a common interest? Why not go where they hang out? Have fun, but not TOO much fun in here. ONLY members over 18 are welcome here.

View Poll Results: What do reptile keepers look like? (More than 1 OK)
They have tattoos 366 57.46%
They wear jeans 389 61.07%
They have long hair 175 27.47%
They carry scam detectors 81 12.72%
No britches 41 6.44%
Hand pressed Ralph Lauren button down oxfords (this is what I wore) 51 8.01%
They look like good citizens 278 43.64%
They look like troublemakers 192 30.14%
They look like Hell's Angels 136 21.35%
Depends if they keep snakes or turtles 205 32.18%
I know 'em when I see 'em, I can always tell 160 25.12%
Britches embroidered with snakes 38 5.97%
I dunno, I just keep parakeets 21 3.30%
They look like Lucille 40 6.28%
Other 150 23.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 637. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2005, 06:14 PM   #1
Lucille
What do y'all look like?

I met two very nice people from Fauna today when we did a trade, one later wrote back to say that I did not look like a reptile keeper.

I thought this was very funny, as I do not have a preconceived notion of what we all should look like.

Here is a poll to see what YOU think us reptile people SHOULD look like; you can follow it up with an actual description of yourself if you depart from the general consensus of what we ought to look like... .

Old 10-16-2005, 10:41 PM   #2
ms_terese
Now that my curiosity is piqued, what DO you look like, Lucille?

I've met many o' reptile keeper, and not once have I thought "doesn't look at all like a herp person". Now, many have not looked as I'd first thought, based on phone conversations or emails or the like, but that's a different thing....

Old 10-17-2005, 12:13 AM   #3
South Dixie Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_terese
Now that my curiosity is piqued, what DO you look like, Lucille?

I would love to know too! I tried to get her to post a photo but no such luck! lol!

Old 10-17-2005, 01:14 AM   #4
A_Kendergirl
I think I look much more closely to a Geekus computeralis ... in fact, I'm a 100% het. Oh, if only you could see my dad! He's been a computer nerd since the computers used to take up HUGE rooms, and the idea of a PC was laughable (and he's still at it 30+ years later). I'm thinking it's an incomplete dominate trait. I have the pale skin that rarely sees sunlight, a strong reliance on prescription glasses, and the ability to find humor in "Tron" ... yet I lack the pocket protector complete with calculator, and have little knowledge of the inner workings of a computer.

As far as reptile people go...I'm usually tipped of by the snake draped around the neck. LOL A nice herp related shirt goes a long way in finding one as well.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:51 AM   #5
shrap
Here, if this will get Lucille to post a pic I will start it off with one of myself....

Old 10-17-2005, 03:17 AM   #6
kiote9
I picked other.

I have medium length hair, tattoos, multiple ear piercings, and wear jeans. Not everyone is like me though.

I have encountered people from all walks of life who keep reptiles. Clean cut short haired expensively clad people, long haired tattooed torn shirted dirty jeans people, and many different in between ones too. I bought a snake from a lovely young couple who looked to have been of the "yuppie" type (and they are incredibly nice people!), another person had the "accountant" type look about him (again, a wonderful person).

I don't think you can classify a reptile person by looks. Shoot, just go to a show and watch the attendees, talk to the vendors.

Old 10-17-2005, 05:49 AM   #7
Karen Hulvey
Spell check only works on words misspelled, not typos that make other words. LOL

One thing's for sure. You can't go by looks when trying to decide if someone is "into" reptiles or not.

At the reptile pet store I work at there is woman who comes in but looks like your "typical" grandmother. When she first came in several years ago, I expected to hear tons of phrases out of her mouth like: "The only good snake is a dead snake.", "People actually buy these things?", "Who would have a snake in their house?" and etc. I never in a million years dreamed she would like reptiles and then fill her house with them. She went around oohing and aaahing at EVERYTHING. I don't know how many herps she is up to now but it's a lot. She has bought snakes, tarantulas, turtles, lizards and amphibians, you name it. She also goes to the reptile shows now too.

Then sometimes we have tattooed, long-haired guys who run screaming like a little girl if I take a hatchling corn snake out of its container. Now that is funny.

On a side note when I spell checked this post it highlighted HERPS and the first suggestion for a correct spelling was HERPES. I got a chuckle out of that.

Here's a pic of me with my newest BP.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2005, 07:50 AM   #8
DavidButton
Ok, I am the one that told her that she didn't look like a reptile keeper. I have been keeping snakes for over 30 years now and have seen my fair share of herp people, male and female, and I just didn't think that she looked like someone that had a bunch of snakes. Especially not someone that would be interested in the big boids like burms.
Since she e-mailed me and asked me to describe her to you guys here goes. I would definatly say and she looks like a lawyer, which she is or is going to be, but also has the innocent look of an elementary school teacher. She has short blond hair and was wearing a suit type outfit which looked very professional. It was sunday though so I don't know if that was just church cloths and she might normally be in jeans and a tee shirt.
But all and all she just didn't strike me as a snake keeper. Maybe a bearded dragon or chameleon keeper, but not big boids. Female boa and burm keepers in my experience usually have a bit of a hard edge to them. Not a bad thing, just different.
Anyway, all this was just my opinion. I think that Lucille should dress in what she had on when I met her and take a picture. Then you guys can judge for yourselves.

David

Old 10-17-2005, 08:07 AM   #9
ms_terese
Quote:
Female boa and burm keepers in my experience usually have a bit of a hard edge to them.
LMAO! You need to get out more, David! I'm just teasing you...but, seriously, I think many, MANY of the women on this site will disagree with you!

Old 10-17-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidButton
Anyway, all this was just my opinion. I think that Lucille should dress in what she had on when I met her and take a picture. Then you guys can judge for yourselves.

David

Thank you for the description David . I am quite shy in person and am self conscious so I do not think I will post a pic, but I started this thread because I thought it would be interesting to hear from people about their expectations of what a reptile keeper 'should' look like, and there have been some interesting responses.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!